Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Work Computer Infected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 USofAScott

USofAScott

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:33 AM

I have a Win7 PC at work that has gotten infected.  I have run AVG and it said it fixed 7 infections.

Still running VERY slow. 

Now, when I try to run AVG, it says that it cant be started due to system policy.

Anyone want to help?

Also, should not was running MS for antivirus until started having problems this week.  I then downloaded the AVG AV product. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Since you say this a work computer, have you contacted and advised your Domain Administrator, Business Manager, or IT Department?

In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures unless the IT staff requests our assistance.

A business/government IT Department generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. Further, the malware you are dealing with may have infected the network and the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate disinfection measures.

If AVG is being blocked by system policies, those policies may have been implemented by your IT folks who monitor the network and client computers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 USofAScott

USofAScott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

I am the IT department for our company. We are a small business with 10 employees that use this PC.  I am responsible for managing it.  

#4 USofAScott

USofAScott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

And yes, I have implemented policies for acceptable use. Employees are not allowed to use this machine for browsing the internet, however, from looking at each user's history it is clear that they have not been following this procedure.

I have removed poweliks from the system, but it is still running very slow. I keep getting the "not allowed" message when I try to run a followup scan using AVG

Edited by USofAScott, 07 November 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

I am the IT department for our company. We are a small business with 10 employees that use this PC.  I am responsible for managing it.

I understand and that's not a problem but I always ask first. There are many folks who try to circumvent their employers work policies by hiding malware infections (or other computer issues) and seeking help elsewhere in order to avoid personal responsibility. As such, I'm sure you can appreciate I was looking out for the IT folks as well by checking.

Please be aware that our forums are set up to help the home computer user deal with issues and questions relating to personal computers. At most community security sites like this, we do not have the staff or resources to deal with numerous client machines or the complexities of network disinfection. Many helpers are not familiar with Servers and many of the tools we use are restricted to non-commercial use by their creators. We are not equipped to involve ourselves in any legal issues which may arise due to loss of business data and loss of revenue as a result of the disinfection process which in some instances may require reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system.

With that said...if this is a client machine, to prevent the malware from spreading to other clients on the network keep this system isolated from all others and disable network file and printer sharing until fully cleaned.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs or you're using Windows 8.1, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users