Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable CPU Temperature...Help Appreciated!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kevdit

kevdit

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:18 AM

CPU: FX 6300
CPU COOLER: Hyper Evo 212
Motherboard: Biostar TA970
Windows 8.1

Hello,

Just recently, HWMonitor has been giving me inaccurate readings in regards to my CPU temp as well as its power. At idle, it'll go from around 29 C (normal) and then drop all the way down to 17 C. Then, it'll go back up to 29 C and repeat this process infinitely. The power is also jumping from 21.60 W to 30.70 W, sporadically increasing and decreasing. I use SpeedFan to control all my fans, and I was also getting sporadic readings from it as well. Keep in mind that my readings were completely fine until a few days ago.  I usually idled at around 29C, with an increase during gaming...nothing as sporadic and crazy as recently. Here's what I did so far:

-Uninstall and reinstall HWMonitor
-Uninstall Speedfan - perhaps there was a conflict with speedfan sensors and MOBO's sensors?
-Virus scan with AVG, Malware Bytes, Iobit Advanced System Care, CC Cleaner

-Turn Off AVG

-Used coretemp to measure temperature...read as 19C, still real lower than before.

I'm starting to think that maybe the CPU sensors are starting to malfunction. I find it weird that both the temperature and power readings are going haywire. Will this cause cooling issues from the cpu fan in that it can't get a stable reading for it to activate when under heavy load? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

power is also jumping from 21.60 W to 30.70 W, sporadically increasing and decreasing

I would suggest checking your power supply, there is no way it should be doing this. If you have an extra one (24 pin) or have a friend who will let you use his you can swap it out, or if you have a power supply tester that will make it easy.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 kevdit

kevdit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the reply ranchhand,

If this helps at all, I checked the temperature through the Bios and it was steady...idling and steady at 30C.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

try a different hardware monitoring software, some programs just don't work with some hardware configs.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 kevdit

kevdit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I used HWMonitor, CoreTemp, and Speedfans to check my temps...they all showed the same type of sporadic temperatures.  I'm completely lost now...my computer is only 3 weeks old and i bought all the parts brand new, including the PSU.  

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

Again, you really want to check that power supply. I have sent lots of brand new ones back to Newegg after they tested as bad in some rails. If it really is spiking that great a variance you could blow your CPU, motherboard, lord know what else eventually. If it is not the PS, then you can breathe a sigh of relief and look for software problems. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is good.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:11 PM

An explanation for the CPU wattage jumping around is the various C states they use to save power.  You can't always trust what the hardware monitoring programs say, but my CPU (i5-4670K) for example reports power use at about 7w when idle, but moving continuously. If I open a new web page for example it spikes up to 20-odd watts, before returning to 7w.  It shoots up to over 100w when loaded up with something like Prime95 though (it's overclocked a little). The temperature is closely linked to the amount of power being used of course.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:54 AM

Good point, jonuk.  I assumed the OP meant the output reading from his power supply, not the CPU draw usage.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

Just to add to what jonuk76 posted.

The image and text below came from Physics Stack Exchange.

cpuwattage_zps5390c559.png

die-temperature.

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2014 - 10:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users