Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for new web browser

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TTC2291

TTC2291

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

I am running XP on a 2002 vintage Dell 4500. (I have a newer laptop, but I'm still using the older computer for most things until it can't work anymore.

Over a year ago, Youtube changed their settings to no longer allow the version of Internet Explorer I was using to let me watch videos. I tried to update Internet Explorer without success.

I first tried Google Chrome. At first, it worked, but then it started to annoy me by trying to load a page that was already loaded. I eventually downloaded Firefox and removed Chrome. After awhile, Firefox also started to keep loading already loaded webpages. I have tried sticking with Firefox for a year, but now I'm on wit's end.

I tried Opera, but within day, I experienced the same problems as Firefox and they showed up sooner than with Firefox.

I am still looking for a new browser to replace Firefox. This browser must allow me to watch and submit videos to Youtube. I also don't want any browsers to keep loading pages that are already loaded.

Does anyone have any suggestions for browsers which I have NOT listed?

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2014 - 12:44 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer TTC2291 :)

I also don't want any browsers to keep loading pages that are already loaded.

In Firefox, Go to Tools - Options - General tab - in When Firefox Starts drop down, choose any option other than show my windows and tabs from last time. Hit Ok.

Tekken

#3 TTC2291

TTC2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I did what you said though in "When Firefox Starts" drop down, it was already at "show my home page". I selected it again and hit Ok.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:19 AM

When does the reloading last pages happen? On browser startup?

Tekken

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:44 PM

Free alternate browsers:Avant Browser has three Rendering Engines built-in: Trident, Gecko and Webkit, the engines behind Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome respectively. Users can choose whatever their favorite engine as the default, and switch to others when the default cannot render a web page properly. Users can also define different rendering engine for each website in Avant Browser Options, so the rendering engine will be switched automatically when navigate to these websites.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 jbclem

jbclem

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:17 AM

You might try an earlier version of Firefox, I'm typing this from FF 12, and I just checked YouTube and it's working ok.  I haven't had the problem you've referred to so I can't speak to it.  I've also been using PaleMoon as a replacement for Firefox, it has the Firefox engine without all the crappy unnecessary changes.  And I've  used Qupzilla, but Palemoon is my preferred at this point...although I'm going to give Avant Browser a try.  My need is for a browser that will let me run a lot of tabs/windows without locking up, and so far Palemoon works best as long as I don't load a bunch of news sites.  Firefox is completely useless in that regard.

#7 TTC2291

TTC2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:40 AM

When does the reloading last pages happen? On browser startup?

It happens periodically, but several times per day. Usually, after I've been browsing a few pages, the browser continues to load a page that's already loaded. When it loads a page that's already loaded, it won't let me do something as simple as scrolling down the page while it loads the already loaded page. :killcomp:

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:04 AM

- Sounds like the amount of memory is too low and/or the amount of free space on your harddisk to too low (as well). How much memory has your system and what's the maximum amount of memory your system can handle ? How large is your Harddisk & how free space (%) does the harddisk have ?

Edited by Willy22, 08 November 2014 - 04:06 AM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

the browser continues to load a page that's already loaded. When it loads a page that's already loaded, it won't let me do something as simple as scrolling down the page while it loads the already loaded page.

You mean in all browsers you use, Chrome, Firefox and IE?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Download MiniToolBox and open/run the program.
When open, checkmark or select all options then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Download then run Farbar Service Scanner and checkmark all boxes.
Click Scan and then a Notepad text will open. Copy-Paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#10 TTC2291

TTC2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

Download all three of the above programs?

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

- Download & run all 3 programs. Speccy gives A LOT OF info regarding your system setup.

- I would recommend installing PcWinTech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage and that improves overall system performance. The combination of Chrome, Firefox and a XP system build/bought in 2002 is a good recipe for a slow system (think: too little memory). Topping it off with watching videos on Youtube is another ingrediënt for a slower system.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

Download all three of the above programs?

Yes please do so.

Tekken

#13 TTC2291

TTC2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

I uninstalled Chrome and removed it from the computer after I installed Firefox. But I have Opera which I'm thinking of removing.

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

- Just follow the instructions as mentioned above. (download & run those programs & post the results)

- Having those browsers installed doesn't slow your system down. Running them seems to do that.

#15 TTC2291

TTC2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:32 AM

I have uninstalled Opera, but I haven't downloaded those three programs yet.

I find it absurd that I have to download THREE programs to try and fix Firefox when I believe it would be easier to download one new browser to REPLACE Firefox which is causing me no end of trouble.

I was suggested the following browsers as potential replacements:

Of the browsers listed, which meets ALL of my criteria for a new browser:

1. It works with XP

2. It allows me to watch and upload videos to Youtube.

3. When it loads a page, it does NOT continue to load once a page is loaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users