Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.DLL error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhett

rhett

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

Every time I restart my computer I get this message.

The module

"c:/users/Justin/appdata/local/axw.../dt_socket.dll"

failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.

Please help! Plus my computer will not shut down without holding down the power button. I don't know if this is related to this error.

Thanks,

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

Two possible cures, certainly ones which I would try before getting too dramatic about the problem and reaching for the bigger hammer. It sounds like you have corrupted OS file(s). Which one you try first is up to you but I think the first one below is easier.

If this problem only started relatively recently, say within the last three or four weeks, then do a system restore to a time before the problem started. Click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery - Open system restore'. This will bring up the restore screen which will list only the most recent one or two restore points. If these pre-date your problem pick the appropriate one, if not click the button 'More restore points' and then select one that pre-dates your problem. Click 'Start restore' (or words to that effect) and accept the warnings that this is an irreversible process, and sit back and wait for it to finish. This process should only take 5 - 10 minutes, then, if it doesn't re-boot itself, re-boot, then check that the problem has disappeared. It may now be necessary to re-install any updates since the restore date. Do these one at a time as it may be one of these that caused the problem in the first place !

The other method is to run a program called SFC /scannow. This restores corrupted Windows files. To do this you need to open the command line. Click on 'Start' then type 'cmd' (note, all typing commands WITHOUT the quotes) into the search box. This will produce a list with at the very top 'command.exe'. RIGHT click on this and, from the pop-up menu that appears, select 'Run as Administrator'. This will produce a small black window with white text which will end with a prompt. Just type 'sfc /scannow' at the prompt - case doesn't matter but note there is a space between 'sfc' and '/scannow' - then press 'Enter'. The computer will now start to scan and repair system files.

This process can take quite a long time, 40 minutes to an hour is not unusual so leave the computer running and go and do something productive. When you are certain that the scan has finished, re-boot and you should be good to go.

If neither of these methods solve the problem, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 November 2014 - 06:44 PM.
Clarification

#3 rhett

rhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the post. It's been longer than 4 weeks so restore won't work. I did the sfc/scannow and it showed no repairs. Rebooted and still get same error message.

Thanks,

Justin

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

According to here dt_socket.dll is related to JAVA. Have you uninstalled it recently?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hi, It may also be an updater for Sony Eriksson apps. If you have them . If so you may either uninstall then reinstall the apps.

Or we can kill that process but then the app will not update.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 rhett

rhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

Uninstalled Java and reinstalled, didn't work. I don't have any Sony Eriksson apps.

I'm also receiving a lot of "not a valid Win32 applications" errors when I try opening excel sheets, etc.

Justin

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message. -->>> dt_socket.dll
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users