Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build a new computer in an old IBM/Lenovo case?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

I'm not a pro but I have built one computer, so I'm not a total newbie, either.

I'm currently nursing along a vintage 2003 IBM ThinkCentre -- old enough to be IBM branded, but it's Lenovo hardware.  I did a significant upgrade back in 2007 and was impressed with how easy it was to open up and get access.

I'm thinking of reusing the case for a new PC.  I'd expect to take out the old motherboard (RAM, CPU, etc.), power supply and hard drive and put in new equivalents.  The optical drives are in good shape, and I'd expect to keep them.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider doing this?  Have I missed anything that should be obvious?

Thanks for your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:52 AM

i did that before, it was fun. surprisingly, the interface holes and patterns are still standard now.  the only thing is the motherboard I/O backplate may not match the apertures after you install it.

after that, what about cooling? the old cases only can do so much without modifications, that is where the fun begins, developing a cooling scheme.

the best part for me was using an old dell dimension case from 2002 and installing high performance components in it and to the outside world, it was a $20 PC, i could show what was in it when i pulled up the speccy report .. i opted not to window out the side panel to keep the mystique.. i had to modify it to accomodate the120mm front intake fan because i wanted to stick with air cooling.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Thanks.

I'll look into the backplate.

Cooling was a concern, but I plan on using for office-type applications and the internet, so I don't need cutting edge performance late model hardware.  The case actually does not currently have a cooling fan at all, but it does have a spot for an 80mm fan.  I'll also look into finding a way to mount a front intake fan -- it looks like there's room for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users