Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TH3W0PR

TH3W0PR

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

Okay so when a friend of mine found out that I was taking Comptia A+, Network +, and Security+, He gave me a free laptop when he found out that I was only sharing a desktop my family. So since I was getting into networking, and I'm panning on eventually getting my CEH, he partitioned my laptop and I am currently running Windows 8 and Ubuntu. So my question to you guys: Where do I begin? I have absolutely no idea where to even start with Ubuntu. Ive heard people talking about Aircrack ng, but im not sure where to find it, or how to run it. Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

So my question to you guys: Where do I begin?

Do you know Linux at all?

It will give me an idea where to start.

:welcome:  To BC.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:52 AM

Follow Nick's lead, for a start.

Before, during and after try here for a good read, or two, or many!

A journey of 1,000 miles starts with a single step- now that you have made the step to try Linux - enjoy!

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - 2nd step in Ubuntu should be to find Terminal (on the Dash, top left) or Ctrl-Alt-T, and type in, then Enter

sudo ufw enable

It will prompt you for your password, enter it and Enter.

You should get keyboard output as follows

Firewall is active and enabled on system startup

Now you have a firewall in place.Later , if you want a GUI (graphical) firewall presence you can access from the desktop, you can use, as I always have, gufw. Enjoy, again.

BTW2 - and also :welcome: to BC!

Edited - insertion 2nd BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 07 November 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:25 AM

TH3W0PR,  :welcome: to BC Forums & the Linux Community!

The software you're seeking is in the Ubuntu Software Center, so are other useful network auditing tools. As Wiz mentioned, the very first thing you need is the ufw Firewall. 

Do you know Linux at all?

Yes, as Nick stated, this is a good place to begin. That will allow us to assist you better. Ubuntu is a mainstream OS, so you're in good company. Lots of assistance available, many tutorials written to meet the need for most anyone. 

Always fell free to ask whenever needed, anytime. 

We're more than happy to assist our growing LInux community when called upon.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

I know how you feel on sometimes not knowing what to do with Linux. I started college back in August for ICT. I killed a windows XP laptop and went straight Linux and I absolutely love it. My best advice on where to start is to do regular back ups and dont be afraid to play with it. What is the worst thing that could happen... You have to reinstall. Its free, so not a big issue. Dont be afraid of the terminal. Gui is over-rated. Try searching most usefull Linux Commands. Also be familiar with the most deadly Linux Commands. I had a problem with mine after I upgraded to 14.10 and was looking for some help. I had a guy in another forum on another site try to get me to use one that not only would have killed my system but the acctual bios of my computer as well.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

:welcome: to BC, LinuxChic!

Dont be afraid of the terminal

+1 :thumbup2:

But

Gui is over-rated

... sometimes yes, sometimes no.

If we didn't want and enjoy a point-and-click interface, we would still be using just the CLI (Command Line Interface, eg terminal) only, and trying to customise the prompt with colours and echoing "Hello World" so as not to get bored, lol.

I find it handy to know the alternatives, their Pros and Cons, and mix the two where appropriate, you get the feel over time.

LinuxChic, did you upgrade to Utopic using removable media, or just downloaded and installed? If the latter, there can be messy problems following.

Later

#7 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

I did the distro upgrade through the terminal, and kabam... Nothing. Just a purple screen. So I made a bootable USB and reinstalled. This is my "learning Linux" laptop so I back- regularly and don't put anything I don't want to loose on here. Yeah I do enjoy the Gui, it is nice at times, but there is just something about using the command line that my inner geek really likes. I love when people ask me what OS i would recommend and I tell them Linux. Then I get the " HUH" look.

Edited by LinuxChic, 09 November 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:58 PM

I did the distro upgrade through the terminal, and kabam... Nothing. Just a purple screen.

I think my technical term was "messy", even if it had worked, lol.

When cat1092 swings by he can tell you good reasons to stick with the Long Term Support (LTS) versions rather than trawling through the sub-upgrades. But the choice is yours, because choices is what Linux is all about.

Remember to enable your firewall, once done, it starts at boot each time. Speaking of GUI, the graphical version, gufw, can be found in your repositories, implemented via Synaptic if you like. It can then be pinned to your Unity Launcher in Ubuntu if you wish, or to Zorin's AWN, or Linux Mint's Panel. In LMM it shows as an icon depicting a nice reassuring brick wall. The GUI version can be used to set Rules, enable and view Logs, &c.

If you want to learn all the options for ufw, go to Terminal from the Dash or type Ctrl-Alt-t <Enter>. Then type and enter

man ufw

It's only 542 lines long :hysterical: - good bedtime reading, but there is probably a PDF out there.

just something about using the command line that my inner geek really likes

... I know what you mean, I go back to MS-DOS 3.1

Later

#9 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

I know that 14.04 has LTS but, I could not pass up upgrading to Utopic Unicorn. I love the name. I have found some very interseting articles on here and used your advice to enact my firewall. I loved the DOS days my ownself. Having to remember key functions is kinda like having to remember commands. Thanks for the advice and welcome to the community Wizard.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

I love the name

Wasn't game to suggest that in case it sounded sexist, bit like car salesmen selling a car to a woman based on the colour, but I like unicorns too. My wife paints them for our granddaughter.

Google up "Tahr images" - they're cute and cuddly looking, lol.

Later - TH3W0PR - if the Cavalry don't show up in a few hours I'll be back, and start handing out tips Wizard-style (that should set them to thundering in, lol)

:wizardball:

Edited typo ... I'll have to write a macro for "TH3W0PR" ... grumble, grumble off into distance

Edited by wizardfromoz, 09 November 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

LinuxChic,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

We always have room for another Linux user here.  :)

Also be familiar with the most deadly Linux Commands

Great Idea, and Kasou, one of our instructors who takes time for us when her busy schedule allows, covered that in part here. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539766/community-standards-properly-giving-receiving-gnulinux-support/

I had a guy in another forum on another site try to get me to use one that not only would have killed my system but the acctual bios of my computer as well.

That is very unfortunate & glad that you caught it, and rest assured if it happens on this site, that same member won't strike twice. Always report such incidents to a staff member immediately through the report link that has the destructive code (with "URGENT" or "911" as the heading, this forwards the page to the upper staff with your comments, and please PM me afterwards, I'll follow up to ensure that the appropriate actions are taken. We're not going to have mass Linux killers on the loose. 

Those who commits these acts are likely anti-Linux, and grabs the commands off the Internet. BTW, there are similar Windows killers that can be copy/paste via cmd, ran as Administrator, and the result is the same. On the last Windows 8 forum where I participated as a moderator, it was reported to me, that member was gone on less than one minute with all of his/her posts totally deleted, as though the member never existed. These forums has powerful tools that's powerful in dealing with these types. 

I can accept the fact that folks are going to make mistakes, as humans, we all do. However, those who posts commands to wipe out computers (no matter the OS being ran) are in essence, domestic terrorists & a menace to society, and deserves to be handled as such. Unfortunately we can't go quite that far, but we can see to it that the member never does it again here. These commands are not mistakes. and even in the one in a million event it is, the consequences still applies. No second chance for those who passes along code of mass destruction on this forum. We have a large audience, among the tops at what we do, and cannot afford one member on board to ruin our reputation. 

Anyway, glad to have you abroad, and any time you need assistance, please ask. There's no such thing as dumb questions here. On the other hand, if you're skilled. always feel free to jump in and assist others. We need all of the Linux experience that we can attract and retain. 

Enjoy the forum! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,722 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

I had a guy in another forum on another site try to get me to use one that not only would have killed my system but the acctual bios of my computer as well.

Yes strange things happen on some forums,  And some people have strange ideas of what is and is not right regarding some commands.

:welcome:  To BC.

#13 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:07 AM

what command wipes the BIOS?

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#14 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

Umm if you inbox me i will let you know what it was. dont want it put out there.

Edited by LinuxChic, 10 November 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#15 LinuxChic

LinuxChic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:10 AM

what command wipes the BIOS?

After an internal debate bmike1, I have decided I will only give the command to the admins on here. I DO NOT want to further deseminate destructive and deadly commands. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users