Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backups

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mwieting

mwieting

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

I am just wondering if anyone has any recomendations with backuping large amounts of data to a physical drive.  Obviously it would be nice to have different dated versions of the backup but its rather diffucult to do this when your drive is almost filled after one backup.... Does anyone have any other solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:41 AM

Hello,

Before I can give any specific advice – can you give more detailed info about the components you are using ? Do you need to backup on an internal or external hard drive ? Have you considered RAID as an option?
Backups can be done manually but this isn't very practical for large amounts of data and/or if it has to be done periodically. If I understand correctly – you may need a software solution, which can do scheduled backups. There are such solutions, like WD SmartWare, among other software. Most of them will enable you to c
hoose from automatic, continuous backup or scheduled backups. You will also be able to back up to a local external hard drive or to a cloud storage.

If your main concern is storage volume and data security – you may also look for a NAS device (Network Attached Storage) with a RAID option, in addition to the backup software.

Waiting for details so I can be more specific, best regards, Citizen_WD 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users