Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Blocker

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mwieting

mwieting

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

Does anyone know if some software that prevent users from clicking on items such as "update your flash player-click here)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

Edited by Condobloke, 07 November 2014 - 04:20 AM.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

It's called Education.

"Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. An uninformed user can be their own worst enemy when acting in ignorance."

"Security always begins with personal responsibility...that includes educating and arming yourself with knowledge. You can't always depend on technology or some magical program to do it for you."
-- QM7
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

An ad-blocker might help.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

No script and adblock plus are firefox extensions which will help with this, but they are not guaranteed to work in all cases, and they mean you must perform some setting up for any new web page you visit (deciding to allow scripts from main sites but not from advertisers basically).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:59 AM

My personal general rule of thumb (it's not infallible, I know!) is not to click on anything animated or flashing. Some of these malware-infested pop-ups look VERY slightly blurry as well, without sharp edges to their graphics and lettering.....to me they do, at least.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:25 AM

Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. Hackers are also known to exploit Flash vulnerabilities which can lead to malware infection. When visiting a website that hosts an HTML page which requires a Flash script, users may encounter a malicious Flash redirector or malicious script specifically written to exploit a vulnerability in the Flash Interpreter which causes it to execute automatically in order to infect a computer.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

A tip for avoiding flash based attacks, set all plugins as "click to play" or "ask to activate", it doesn't prevent all drivebys but it does prevent a proportion of them. Furthermore it also makes your browsing experience more serene and peaceful whilst speeding up the browser and connection (as the computer doesn't waste time and bandwidth loading every flash object on every page you visit.). It can't stop all ads, as some aren't flash based at all, and it can't stop some types of driveby infections, as they can sometimes exploit flash even if it is deactivated and some of them don't use flash at all, but it reduces the numbers of both. When you visit a site ( a video site usually) where you do want to let a plugin run you click to let it run, one extra click is a tiny price to pay for the reduction in bother and bandwidth use. no-script and adblock plus do the same thing but go further towards protecting you and avoiding showing any junk, they require a little more skill to use but still only add a few extra clciks to each webpage visit.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I recommend changing Shockwave Flash to "Ask to Activate" or "Never Activate" as follows...
Open Firefox, go to > Tools > Add-ons > Plugins > Shockwave Flash > click the drop-down box and select "Never Activate" or "Ask to Activate".
This way the plugin will stay disabled per default but can be activated on a per-site basis.

* Disable or remove Add-ons
* How to disable/turn off Adobe Flash Player in Firefox
* Flash Player Help / Enable (Disable) for Firefox

* FlashDisable add-on for Firefox
* Flashblock add-on for Firefox

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

"ask to activate" would be the best setting really, most video sites require flash to run so it would make the computer more limited in what it could be used for if flash is utterly disabled. In chrome the option is "make all plugins click to play" or something to that effect, accesssed from the "advanced" section of the "settings" tab. chrome's flash player is built in whilst for firefox you must install it but in either case you benefit(in multiple ways) from not letting it run automatically. Personally i prefer to "temporarily allow" flash from certain pages or "allow this once", it gives more bother when i visit the page again but only 1 click's worth. There is no need for extensions to diable flash in firefox or chrome, it can be fully disabled by (as you have mentioned) choosing "never activate" in firefox or disabling in chrome from with chrome://plugins also i think those extensions might cause trouble if trying to run adblock plus or noscript alongside them.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

It's a matter of user choice and personal preference as well as safety...not everyone uses video sites. The FlashDisable add-on provides the convenience to disable and re-enable Flash with one click.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users