Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Lagging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jackspal

jackspal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

[b]Hello everyone,
I am new to the forums and hoping someone here can help me solve a problem with my computer.
I think my keyboard is lagging. Sometimes I can type a word or 2 and then it quits. After a few seconds I may be able to type another letter or 2. After awhile it beings typing again. I don't have to be using the internet. I have the problem with my word processing pograms and spread sheet programs too. the darn thing just quits me.
I don't know if it is a problem with the keboard or my computer.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I'm using a Sony Vaio about 4 years old with Windows XP Home Version.
Thanks,
Jackspal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Hit ctrl + alt + del keys on your keyboard. This will bring up the Task Manager. Click on the Performance tab.

Under Physical Memory, tell us the amount listed for Total and Available.

Also look at CPU Usage. How high is the CPU usage when you are experiencing these problems, and how high is CPU usage when the computer is just at rest?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

When was the last time temp files were deleted from the computer?

Have you run Adaware or Spybot recently?

If not - run them from safe mode after you update their definitions.

If you do not already have them installed get them, download them, update them and run them from safe mode:

Ad-Aware SE Personal - freeware
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Adawa...nal/965718306/1

Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Be sure to enable “Teatimer” which gives you realtime protection against malware invasion. (absolutely necessary)

Follow the tutorial you will find here:
Slow Computer Checklist

Because many members post about their computer responding slowly, BC is posting a summary checklist of general steps a member can take to resolve this problem, and briefly discussing the three most common causes: malware, uncontrolled applications, and lack of maintenance.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

After taking Albert Frankenstein and Enthusiast's advice, I'd suggest the following:

IMO, a 4 year old computer with resource issues (the lagging is symptomatic of it) is a candidate for upgraded components (or a new system).

Generally Windows XP doesn't function well without 512 mB of RAM (you can make it on less - but you'll spend a lot of time tweaking the system to make it work fast enough).

Other resources (CPU, motherboard/system bus, video, etc) can also cause this problem. The solution for these is to upgrade the components.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users