Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing and a few other issues.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 tristan_606

tristan_606

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hello.

I have a problem with my PC. It has been going on for a month now or so. I'll do my best to describe the issue in detail, but I'm no expert on that.

The main problem is that my pc randomly freezes- it happens like this:
While using any other software than video games (literally everything), at some point computer just.. stops working. I can't move my mouse, can't type anything- it literally freezes for a moment (including sound, though while using windows media player, sometimes program just doesn't work but audio goes on), usually about 20 seconds (sometimes longer). And it wouldn't be that much of a problem, if it wouldn't happen so often.
While playing video games- that's when hell starts. It can happen once a minute, and sometimes even more often. During that freez, audio starts to loop last half a second untill it unfreezes.
Just to clarify- I'm not playing/using any kind of software that my PC can't handle. Most of the things that I use require really small amounts of ram or cpu. And surprisingly- while game requiers small amounts of ram and cpu and freezes constantly, my other software that sometimes can take almost all of my ram and 90/99% of the cpu, freezes very rarely and it's all ok.
It was something that just started happening one day, and never stopped. Just got worse. I was looking for a solution, but I couldn't find anything usefull. There's nothing going on in the background that could possibly cause that big problem.
I've tried to track down maybe some patterns, or perhaps it was something i was doing that causes this to happen. But no- it's completly random.

I had my suspicions, that  a virus called "W32 Ramnit.B" may have somehow found it's way into my computer (me and my firends are working on some project, and to share content we use google drive- and said virus somehow got into the drive. It is possible I got it from there).
One of my firends thold me, that constant freezing may be one of the symptoms of having it and it's actually more dangerous than it seems. But in order to make sure, I need to scan my computer in safe mode. Which leads to another problem...

My coputer restarts when I try to get into safe mode. It looks like this: I restart, keep pressing F8 untill a menu shows up, I choose "Safe Mode", windows shows up asking me for my profile password. I type it- enter- says "Welcome", and then restart... I tried a few times, always the same scenario.

Normally, I would wipe my hard drive clean the first week this happend and reinstalled the system. But I can't do it.. I have gigabytes (700 to be exact) of data that I just can't lose. And there's no possible way for me to make a copy of it (and since there's a chance I can still have that virus, it would be best if I wouldn't do that). If I'm to delete all that, I can as well throw my computer out of the window...
My hard drive have 931 gb of free space, where currently I'm using 920 (11gb of free space). I made some more free space before (about 50gb) but nothing changed. I thought this may be the reason.

I need help with this. Situation is desperate. And I need my PC working as soon as possible. Please help.

Edited by tristan_606, 06 November 2014 - 04:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:34 AM

If you believe your system may have been infected by the W32 Ramnit.B virus, you need to re-post for your request for assistance in the separate "Am I Infected" forum, where trained anti-virus experts can better assist you.

In doing a little Googling research today, I saw warnings that this virus can infect .exe and .html/htm files, possibly .dll files, and can install backdoor access to your computer.  If you pull your hard drive out and slave it to another computer, you might be able to save/transfer data files, but you will probably want to first get some advice from the "Am I Infected" forum experts about how to best scan and disinfect your drive before transferring any data files off of it.

Best wishes.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 tristan_606

tristan_606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thank you. I'll do that.

#4 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:20 AM

get a copy of linux lite or ubuntu and boot up off the linux disk don't install just run it off the disk

then you can access your hdd and copy your files to a usb disk or pen drive.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

You have followed the suggestion to post in Am I Infected.

Link to AII post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/555155/pc-freezing-and-a-few-other-issues/

Someone is helping you in that topic.

To avoid confusion, this topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users