Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Start Menu and Added Administrator User

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:48 PM

I am helping a friend that has a HP Desktop Computer and was running Windows 8.  When he first set up the computer he contact Microsoft and said he did not want to have a password.  Microsoft in all their wisdom set up an administrator account that had no password.  Problem came when he went to the Start Panel and found he could not access any of the aps.  No weather, news, etc.

He brought the computer to me.  I was doing some clean up on it when a message came up saying it was updating to Windows 8.1.  It came through just fine.  I went into account settings and put a password into the administrative account but found it still would not me to access the apps.

I then set up a new Microsoft Account using outlook.com and made a new email address and password.  All look fine and when I got to the start menu after setting up the new account and password I find that there is  NOTHING (I REPEAT) NOTHING IN THE START MENU!  There are no apps (weather, news, etc. to see if they work or not.

I did read that it is extremely difficult to get rid of the administrative local account.

If anyone could help me, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve Bell

Test to see if replies works.  It says No replies to this question.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mwieting

mwieting

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

I am guessing that when you use a microsoft account to log into your windows 8 machine, it creates a profile local to your computer.  You might have an issue when you setup the users account and all the "data" is setting in a different user profile. With Windows8 you can do a referesh without losing your information.  Give that a try. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

The administrator (local) has all of the start menu programs. Can't access them but they are all there. If I set up another Administrator account and assign password (which I've done), The start menu will be empty. Are you saying that I could do a refresh and have all of the start menu programs back again accessible. How can I totally delete the administrator account that was first set up?

Thanks for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users