Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I do System Images for different computers on same external drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hey guys.

Can I do system images for two different computers on the same external drive? How does that work? Would it put each of them in their own folder?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Gateway SX2870    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit    Intel i3-2120, 3.30 GHz    6 gigs RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hello ComputerHelp69, and :welcome: to BleepingComputer.

Yes. If you use program like Macrium Reflect, each system image will be its own file. The software doesn't care about whatever else is on the external drive -- so long as there is enough space to add a system image, of course!

I cannot comment on the built-in System Image functionality in Windows.

Regards,
r0d3r1ck

#3 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I still hope to hear from someone on the built-in System Image functionality in Windows 7 and also whether there would be a way to differentiate which system image is for which computer. Different folders?

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

Macrium Free is the way to go in my opinion. It has never failed me but neither has Windows own imaging program. You can use save Windows 7 images from different computers but it's kind of a kludge because you have to rename the folder from the default WindowsImageBackup to something else and when restoring, rename it back to default. When recovering an image, Windows 7 looks for that folder name while you can browse to the image you want to recover in Macrium. With Windows 7 you can recover from an unbootable computer using the  Windows 7 System Repair Disk. Macrium will let you create a WinPE bootable disk that will do the same thing. If the drive fails, replace the drive, boot the Macrium WinPE disk and recover the image. Your back in business in minutes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

To be able to have multiple versions of system images saved on the same drive or partition, you would need to rename the older WindowsImageBackup folder from the previously created system image as described in the NOTE box at the top of this tutorial.

If you renamed the WindowsImageBackup folder for the system image version that you wanted to restore, then you will need to do the steps below before you will be able to restore that system image.

Macrium Free is easier to use and faster. Plus you can mount the images as a virtual drive to explore them. This is for MBR disks. I am not sure if you can mount an image created from the new GPT disks. You can also verify the image where Windows 7 cannot.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

Doesn't matter what the software.  You just have to have different file names and enough space.  Those are the only criteria concerning your question.

#6 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Thank you guys.     :thumbsup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users