Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect USB2.0 webcam to system using USB2.0 active extension

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 syed_

syed_

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi All,

I have decided to have a small CCTV kind of a setup on my terrace. I have purchased a "Circle GAZE HD-R 1080p" USB2.0 webcam for this along with a USB 2.0 active extension (20 mtrs) to connect it to my laptop. 

The Active extension is exactly like this - http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00KW68XNS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

The problem I am facing is, the Webcam gets disconnected quiet often while recording, also at times the systems gives an error as "USB device not recognised/malfunctioned).

Can I solve this issue by using a USB 2.0 HUB in between Cam & active extension. Moreover, once I use a USB hub, will it enable me to connect 2 to 3 USB cams.

Also, please advise a good video/audio recording application that is freely available online

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Just a couple of thoughts. First make sure USB selective Suspend is disabled.

Even though the USB cable is a repeater, the camera may be drawing too much power from the USB port. Try using a powered USB hub and attach the repeater cable to that. Yes, if the hub can handle the power draw of the cameras you could add additional cameras. Good Luck.

#3 syed_

syed_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the answer.  One additional problem that I am facing is, whenever I turn on any of the Ceiling fans on my floor, change its speed using the fan regulator, the USB Cam connected via the Active cable gets disconnected. I dont know how the active cable is getting interfered by using the switches on my switch board. I tested this by using my laptop in battery mode, still the problem exists. I dont understand the physics behind this. Can any one pls come up with a solution. 

Moreover, if I use a USB hub, a normal HUB is sufficient or do I need a externally powered USB hub?

Edited by syed_, 10 November 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,217 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

You should use a Powered Hub but in your case that may not work when the ceiling fans are turned on. I would also recommend a UPS. A good UPS can be a livesaver if there is a current surge on the line.  Not sure why it happens with the laptop but maybe it senses a current drop when the fans turn on.

#5 syed_

syed_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

I have tried this with my laptop running on battery(cut off from external power), but still face this issue while using the ceiling fan regulator, sumthing to do with induction,noise & flux that interferes with the active cable. As said earlier, dont understand the physics behind this. Does any one has a solution that will enable me to use this set up without any interruptions.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,217 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

I am not sure what is happening either. Hopefully somebody else with more electrical experience than me will post a possible solution. The USB repeater cable should be shielded. For a cheap solution you could wrap the cable with Aluminum Foil and then ground the foil but I can say it would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users