Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse and Keyboard stop working as soon as driver install completes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jrmarto

jrmarto

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

Very strange problem, have seen a few descriptions of it on the web but nothing with an answer yet. I have a system I am working on where the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive once Windows loads - they work fine in the bios and in recovery environments. I'm using Hiren's Boot CD to work on the system but am happy to download and create any other tools that anybody suggests. Here are some details - if anybody has a solution please let me know.

• Every new mouse/keyboard will work until the drivers are installed - as soon as the message pops up that the drivers have been installed successfully, the input devices quit working
  • Same issue if I try to boot to safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt
  • Later model Dell system doesn't have PS/2 ports, only USB
  • Have used Dell's onboard diagnostics to run a complete hardware diagnostics on the system, including long memory tests - all tests pass
  • Have used System File Checker and chkdsk /r in the recovery environment, no issues found
  • Have run a long scan with Windows Defender Offline, no issues found
  • There are no restore points on the system so I can't roll it back to before the problem. The best I can do is to copy the registry backups to just when the problem occurs, so I can easily get to a point where the keyboard/mouse is not installed. I then have about 30 seconds to do whatever I can once Windows loads before the driver install completes and I have no way to use the system again.

Does anybody know a way to keep Windows from installing keyboard and mouse drivers automatically on restart? If I could do that I could get into the device manager to see what's going on. As it is the 30 seconds I have before the input devices become unreponsive just isn't enough to get anything done.

Has anybody seen this problem and been able to solve it short of a complete reinstall? I would love to hear some suggestions.

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2014 - 07:15 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

What drivers are you installing?

Where are you acquiring these?

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers in the Device Manager and restart the computer to have new drivers installed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jrmarto

jrmarto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

I am not installing any drivers. Windows will automatically install generic mouse and keyboard drivers when it detects new input devices on restart. As soon as it completes its automatic installation of drivers the mouse and keyboard stop functioning - they work while the driver install is in process, but I haven't found a way to stop those drivers from installing automatically or cancel the automatic install once it is in process. 

I cannot get to device manager once the mouse and keyboard are installed because I cannot use either the mouse or the keyboard to navigate there. I am sure if I could get there I would be able to find the problem but it's impossible to navigate a system with no input devices working. 

The only way I have found to "uninstall" the drivers is to load the back-up registry files, a simple enough task with Hiren's Boot cd in the mini-xp environment. But then I have only  about 30 seconds after restarting into Windows before the automatic driver installation kills the keyboard and mouse. Here's an example of someone else with the same issue in case I'm not describing it well enough. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/341561-mouse-keyboard-stop-working-after-installed-usb-ps-2-a.html

I've found perhaps 3 or 4 posts with the same issue but no solutions as of yet. Am giving it another day to find an answer before I format and reinstall.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

Have you tried different USB ports?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jrmarto

jrmarto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

Yes I have tried every USB port on the system, as well as every different mouse and keyboard I own, which are many. You can see in the original posting it is the same in all flavors of safe mode.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm guessing that other devices work just fine in the USB ports?

This is truly beginning to look like a third down and three wood situation.

#7 jrmarto

jrmarto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yeah I'm thinking so too but figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it up here and see if someone had some ideas. Specifically any way to cancel the automatic driver install or keep it from happening. I can edit the registry if someone knows what keys control that - that's beyond my personal scope of knowledge. 

I don't really know if other USB devices work fine because this has been my focus since I got the PC, I was hired to fix this problem, and it's difficult to test other devices when I can't use the keyboard or mouse. Thanks for your input so far.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

Have you tried a wireless keyboard?

#9 jrmarto

jrmarto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Yes I've tried every type of keyboard imaginable. However I have managed to gain access to the system, by using my 1 minute of mouse time to install and set up a remote client as quickly as I could. Now I can remote into the computer from my own system and make any changes. However, I am still stumped. In the Device Manager there are 4 instances of Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus with missing drivers, and one Unknown Device that has a hardware ID of UMB\UMBUS with a missing driver as well. Removing and redetecting these devices doesn't result in a good driver install. I have tried downloading and installing all the latest drivers from the Dell site (this is an Insprion 560 desktop), from Intel (it has an Intel chipset)  from Realtek (there is a Realtek audio card) and from Nvidia (graphics card). Now the system has all the latest drivers but I still can't get those devices to install properly.

I've done a thorough hardware diagnostics scan on the system, and I've swapped out the RAM (there are three 2GB sticks for a total of 6 GB in the system) into every possible configuration. Any ideas?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users