Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help me Pick a Video Card...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dschribs

dschribs

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:13 AM

My wife was given her old work PC.  It’s a few years old (running Windows XP Professional & has a Pentium 4 CPUY) but I only really wanted to use it for surfing the net, watching You Tube videos etc.  I bought a nice HD 16:9 LED monitor last weekend at Best Buy and while it does have an HDMI input – the computer does not have an HDMI output.  Also, I noticed that HD You Tube videos are choppy and have sort of a lag to them when they are in full screen 16:9 mode.

So, I want to add a new video/graphics card that has an HDMI input and to hopefully help with the video lag.

I was looking on N egg .com and there are just way too many selections for video cards.  My head is spinning…

My IT guy at work says I have to be aware of the “power rating” of the computer (I guess some video cards need more power) and whether the computer has PCI or

PCI E inputs??

Anyway, I’ve attached a link for the specs on the computer I have. Would someone be able to pick out one that would work for me and send me a link? I didn’t want to go crazy on price since this is a free computer and I’m not a “gamer”.

Let me know if you need any other specs or anything off the actual computer at my house.

Thanks Very Much for the Help!!

Dan

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_North_America/12426_na_v14/12426_na.PDF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

FWIW:  There are HDMI-to-VGA and VGA-to-HDMI converters available.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

You are correct in your guess that some graphics cards can require more power.  From what I was able to find it appears that you PSU (Power Supply Unit) is 250 Watts.  Without upgrading your PSU this will be one of the limiting factors for purchasing a dedicated graphics card.  The other is how much money to you want to spend?

One other consideration is the fact that the case is a Microtower.  This means that some graphics cards may be too large to use in a case of this size.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

Looking at the spec of the PC it uses the PCI Express interface and accepts full height cards.  So something cheap, low powered and capable of accelerating HD video should be enough.  I would suggest something like this GT720 which only needs 19 watts (about as low powered as you can get) and is passively cooled.  Or the old Radeon HD5450 is a bit cheaper, with the same power use.  You are limited by power supply on the one hand, and the CPU is very dated now so it's not worth spending much on it.  They recommend a 300w PSU (for these 19 watt cards!) but these are very generic recommendations and you should get away with a good OEM 250w power supply.  This is based on calculations I did putting the system spec into http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Whether this will get smooth HD video, I'm not sure...  It depends on the source.  Certain video will be accelerated by the GPU and this should be smooth enough, but anything relying on the CPU (software rendering) will lag - it's just not fast enough to decode HD video in real time.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 November 2014 - 12:09 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 dschribs

dschribs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:38 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

FWIW:  There are HDMI-to-VGA and VGA-to-HDMI converters available.

Louis

I only have 8965 MB of RAM now.  I just ordered 2 GB. Once installed I will post the log. Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendations guys.   

After researching some more, I found out that I really do need a more powerful power supply because my options are so limited with the 250 watt supply the PC has now.   I will probably end up getting an upgraded power unit (430 W) as I can get one out of my friends old computer.  If that's the case, I'll need to ask again what card I should get.  I'm going to install the RAM once I receive it in the mail and see how/if that helps.

More to come.

Thanks very much for the responses.

Dan

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

That computer can use a maximum amount of 2GB of RAM, this means a max of 1GB per slot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users