Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to utilize new 2nd-ary hard disk space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Redwing999

Redwing999

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:24 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

I bought a new 3 terabyte hard drive lately, but when I tried to format it in Disk Management, it won't let me touch a large portion of the disk. Approximately 1/3 of the disk gets locked in an Unallocated state.

33y72ir.jpg

I googled, and found some threads on forums recommending the use of EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition. I downloaded it and tried it, but did not resolve the problem.

Can you please offer some help please?

Thanks very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hello, You cannot make full use of the drive because it was formatted MBR and that has a maximum partition size of about 2TB. Download Partition Wizard here. Easeus may do it but I am familiar with Partition Wizard.

Then do the following. Make sure you are doing these operations on the correct drive as all information will be lost.

Delete all Partitions   Backup any data you have on the drive as this will delete everything.

Initialize the Disk as GPT

Partition and format the drive with NTFS

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

I had similar situation...EaseUS Partition Master won't be able to help.  I used Seagate Disc Wizard software to overcome, but I suggest you follow suggestions by John.

Louis

#4 Redwing999

Redwing999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

Partition Wizard worked! Problem resolved! Thanks very much!

Should I delete the software now? Or should I keep it?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

Glad it worked for you and thanks for the update. You can keep Partition Wizard if you want but it's not necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users