Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to upgrade hard drive without reinstalling Windows? - HD Duplicator not work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

I have a 320 GB 5400 RPM drive that I want to swap out for a 100GB 7200 RPM drive I have laying around. The C partition only takes up 40 GB, so there is plenty of space. I defragmented the HD to ensure the clusters are contiguous, and then I put the drives in a hard drive duplicator. I assume the duplicator just reads and copies the sectors in order starting from sector 1 to sector 2, and ect until it reaches the last sector.

The problem is it's not working. The duplicate is not booting properly, which tells me not all of the information was transferred. I assume this is because there is data lying on the 320 GB hard drive somewhere past where the 100 GB sector lies, and where the duplicator stops.

So how can I get all the data to the beginning of the HD, so when I put it in the duplicator it actually copies all data?

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:30 AM

I don't think HD duplicators resize partitions... AFAIK.

An easy way would be to clone the old disk to a new one, extending the partition to fill the whole disk.

I recommend Acronis True Image Home for this. Boot your PC from the disk you create with the download and clone away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users