Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Copy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jlonto

jlonto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

I was given a better computer than the one I have; however, the person does not have the original disks that came with the computer. How do I copy the Windows XP OS so that I can reload in case I crash?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

It would be hard to copy something if you don't have it. :flowers: You will obviously need the original disk to make a copy from.

However, that being said, a lot of computers did not come with disks at all, but rather a 'hidden' partition on the hard drive that contains Windows. If this is the case for you, then you may be able to make a copy.

Please let us know the exact make and model of your computer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

in the case of a crash, you can make an image of your drive, and then reinstall the os in the same as it was before the crash
http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/true-imag...CFSO4Igod5gz0dw

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:25 PM

Most manufacturers that have a restore partition on your hard drive instruct you to make a set of disks for emergency restore for the eventuality of a hard drive crash.

Look up restore at support for the make and model of the computer you have, or alternatively you can contact support at the manufacturer to buy a set of restore disks made for your specific model.

Make sure you have the Microsoft 25 digit key number and store it in a safe place where it won't become lost. It should be on a sticker on the outside case of the computer. You will also need the serial number and model number of your computer if you need to contact the manufacturer. Support at the manufacturer's site will show you how to find these.

If you can't find the MS Key number on the computer, download keyfinder v1.41 from magicaljellybean.com which will give you the key number of your Microsoft Windows installation. Keep it in a safe place, as even if you do not need it ow, eventually you will.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 June 2006 - 10:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users