Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quad Core or More VRAM on Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheJs

TheJs

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

I am basically looking at these two laptops z710 and z50. I can get both for the same price of 525GBP=840USD

I am looking to use the laptop for light gaming and some light number-crunching like Mathematica/Maple. Also do it bit of Adobe Photoshop, but just casually. The laptop is also for general work, like word processing etc, but I doubt that would be a problem. I do want the laptop to remain relevant for as long as possible though. (see template below)

To summarize the differences between the laptops:
z50:
Dual-core Intel Core i7-4510U
NVIDIA GeForce GT840M 4GB
15.6" Monitor (Does not matter)
8GB RAM

z710:
Quad Core Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M 2GB
17.3" Monitor (Does not matter)
8GB RAM

Also the z710 has some minor things like 1 more USB3.0 port.

Both the screens are 1920x1080 resolution. So the 4GB graphics card is excess right? It would be better to stick to the 2GB 840M to get the Quad Core?

I am deciding between two laptops (which swap one aspect for another)  and not buying an entirely new system but I will fill in this template just for more info.

My budget for the new computer is: >850USD

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
>word processing, a little programming, number crunching(Mathematica, Maple), light gaming(casual games like Dota2, hearthstone, don't need to Ultrahigh setting the latest AAA games), email

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
>Microsoft Office. Mathematica, Maple, Adobe Photoshop, Dota2, Hearthstone, Mech Warrior Online. Intend to use the computer for all-purpose work,play for the next 4+ years at least.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
>Dota2 , Hearthstone, Mech Warrior Online(very rarely), StarCraft 2

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
>Regularly open more than 1 at a time, but nothing too crazy. Maybe 1 web browser and another 1-2 apps like Office, Adobe Photoshop. Usually game with no other apps opened

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
>Yes photos but I do have an 1TB external for that. My entire collection is currently less than 200GB

Will you be overclocking?
>No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
>England, United Kingdom

How many monitors are you planning to use?
>1 Laptop

Do you need peripherals? OS?
>No Peripherals. Windows 7/8/8.1 is fine

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
>Old Laptop suffered HDD failure and/or Overheating after 3 years

Edited by TheJs, 06 November 2014 - 06:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

Unless you plan on upgrading the RAM on the 2GB machine the 4GB machine will give you better over all performance.  I recommend a minimum of 8GB of RAM for a Windows 7/8 machine, but this requires you have the 64-bit version as the 32-bit will only support 4GB.

#3 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

But laptops have 8GB RAM. But the graphics card for z50 has 4GB of memory dedicated to it (entirely separate from the 8GB of RAM, trying not to be confusing), while the z710's graphics card has 2Gb dedicated to it (aalso entirely separate from the 8GB of RAM) , but with a better CPU.

I'm sorry , my post was not clear enough.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

I'm guessing that you're going to be connecting an external monitor and won't be using these as portable.  Most people have issues using a 17" as a portable machine.

Everything else being equal the quad core will give you better all around performance.  The dual core will give you better gaming performance for video intensive games.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

Depends what you mean by "light gaming". If it means candy crush or casual WoW, then get the quad core. If it means full 3D games like skyrim, call of duty, grid, etc, then get the 4gb graphics.

#6 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

The games I played over the past year are Dota2 , Hearthstone, Mech Warrior Online, StarCraft 2. Don't really play them that much though, and don't really buy games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users