I'm having a variety of issues with my Windows 8 machine, and I'm not sure if they are all the same issue or each a separate problem. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions.
Windows 8 64-bit. I think it was 8.1 before I "refreshed" (see below), but it's definitely only 8 now. (And, sidenote, I'm not sure HOW to get 8.1 now, or if I should?)
It's a Lenovo U410 with an Intel core i5 chip.
Error messages / problems
- Always on boot, I get: "Your system does not appear to have Intel Rapid Start Technology enabled." When I check in the startup programs, in the task manager it is enabled.
- The boots are generally slow and usually freeze at some point, I have to wait several minutes for it to un-freeze. It's like 1998 all over again. It usually freezes after the login screen, but sometimes it freezes on the login screen and I can't type anything in.
- On some restarts, Windows has said "Configuring Windows" with a percentage (I think trying to install the 3 Windows Updates my system currently has in the queue). Then, after a long time, it will say: "Windows Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes." Some restarts it does not do this. The ones that do this are usually when Windows made me restart or when it was restarting after the anti-malware/virus programs (see below).
- Sometimes, when I try to wake it up from sleep (closed laptop) it won't wake up. Black screen and just won't load, have to manually turn off/on.
- I got a BSOD a few times for "Driver Power State Failure."
Steps I've taken
- I did a "System Refresh" without losing my files in hopes that it was some error in Windows that could get corrected if I was willing to refresh. No dice... and then, stupidly, not realizing this also removed my antivirus software during this process, I downloaded some things online and got a bunch of malware and viruses.
- ...I then checked for and removed (as far as I know) the viruses/malware using MalwareBytes, Panda Cloud Cleaner, CCleaner, and Combofix. I know I probably shouldn't have used Combofix without a helper. It did claim to fix an infection in "c:\windows\system32\Services.exe." But maybe it messed up other things further. :/
- I also used the "Solve PC Issues" flag thing in the tray to fix two issues. I didn't record what they were, but it was able to fix them... sorry, should have recorded!
- According to the anti malware/virus programs above, no more infections exist on the computer presently, but the problems described above (Intel, slow boots, Windows update issues) still persist. The only problem that has cleared up has been no more BSOD "Driver Power State Failure."
- I tried updating Windows using the Windows Update pane in "Change my PC Settings" from the desktop, but it freezes after loading just a little bit and won't proceed (stuck on "Preparing to Install")
- I tried troubleshooting by using "Repair my PC" in the Advanced Options in the special boot mode, but the screen just goes black and doesn't load anything.
Is there any hope in fixing this? I feel like after typing that all out I'm a hopeless case.
Thank you in advance.