Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

proxy issue solution doesnt make sense

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 roses23

roses23

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

I am following bleeping computers solution to 'proxy server not responding' for my internet. I am posting this from my phone since I cannot go online on my laptop due to proxy issue. I read bleeping computers proxy solution and I need to download a program as per their instructions. How on earth do I download to my laptop if I can't go online??? I can't download to my mobile either as its too basic. Please advise

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2014 - 07:50 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

G'day roses23, and Welcome to BC.

Please try this

Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista and 7, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

LOOK for the space between words...(ipconfig()/flushdns)

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:  (copy and paste if you can)

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 roses23

roses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

Ok I did that and by dns stop etc. It said error and access denied. I carried on your instruction anyway and did the start one and it said its already been started. Either way, I'm still getting proxy issue

#4 roses23

roses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

It also said after ipconfig renew that no operation can be performed whilst wireless connection 2 media is disconnected. Not sure what that means..

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

ok...try this

In windows 7, clcik on start orb, then control panel, then internet options, then Connections

Then

Click "LAN Settings" near the bottom of the "Connections" section.

If the "Proxy server" checkbox is marked with a check, click it to deselect/uncheck it.

Click "Ok" to close the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings" window.

Click "Ok" to close the "Internet Options" Window.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 roses23

roses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thanks I had heard of that solution too but my compouter keeps checking it again without my consent. I think maybe a virus? But mcafee doesn't detect it...

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

Go to the same spot and place a tick in "automatically detect Setting"

#8 roses23

roses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Did that too but it keeps reverting to yes a proxy setting. On another similar query on this website it says I may have a virus and I should download a listed program to stop the revertion but obviously I can't download it

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

yes...definitely some form of malware etc..

Can you get access to another PC.....with a thumb drive...?

if you can .....(.download and run rkill....this will stop the infection....then Malwarebytes will remove it...put them both on the thumb drive and then transfer the thumb drive to yuor laptop))

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.
 A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
 This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
 At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes
 Please Copy / Paste the small log back here.

RKill.exe:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/

iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe):     http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

Rkill.com   RKill Download Link Download Now Rkill.com

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

Please download MALWAREBYTES Anti Malwareto your desktop.

NOTE. If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed scroll down. to the paragraph written in red

Otherwise....follow these instructions Please...

Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.0.1000.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
        A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.

Click Finish.
    On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link....IMPORTANT !!

After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
   (Or, alternatively, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button...... If an update is available, click the Update Now button

A Threat Scan will begin.
    When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
    (In most cases, a restart will be required.)
    Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed:

On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
   After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
   (Or, alternatively, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
    If an update is available, click the Update Now button.)
    A Threat Scan will begin.
   When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
    (In most cases, a restart will be required.)

Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click  Yes.

How To Find Your Logs ...
(Export log to save as txt

After the restart , and you are back on your desktop, open MBAM once more.
    Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
    Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
    Click 'Export'.
    Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
    In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
    In the File name box type a name for your scan log.
    A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
    Click Ok
    Copy and Paste that saved log to your next reply, for me to review.

(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies )

After the restart and you are back on your desktop, open MBAM once more.
    Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
    Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
    Click 'Copy to Clipboard'
    Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply, for my review.

Edited by Condobloke, 05 November 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#10 roses23

roses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thank you a lot for helping out. Pardon my ignorance, what is a thumb drive? And I will try get a hold of another pc tomorrow

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:55 PM

a thumb drive is otherwise known as a pen drive, or usb stick.... picture HERE   

depending on where you are in the world and how much of a rush you are in....they can be obtained from places like ebay quite cheaply and relatively quickly....or you may be lucky enough to have a store etc that sells pc gear close to you....or maybe borrow one from a friend.....it does not need to have great capacity///......even 1GB would be enough for this exercise....although if you are going to buy one, make it 4 gb and then it can be quite useful for keeping a couple of movies on or transferring files with...

Edited by Condobloke, 05 November 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#12 roses23

roses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:44 PM

ok i am still having the proxy issue so cannot paste the history to you. the program removed malicious items and quarantied many, should i delete all these items? 

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

Did you reboot at the end of the scan ??

If not....DO IT NOW....that will take care of the malicious items and quarantine etc

I will be back in one and a half hours.

#14 roses23

roses23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

yes i did reboot when it gave me that message as you instructed. can i delete the items quarrantied?

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:15 PM

yes.

gtg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users