Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspicious system popup window "Restricted" asking for username and password

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tankgrrl

Tankgrrl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

Suspicious system popup window "Restricted" asking for username and password (http://client-projects.com)

I'm getting a suspicious system pop up window on random websites (weather.com, walmart.com, etc. no regular pattern noticed) that says "A username and password are being requested by https://client-projects.com (which is hyperlinked, but I have not clicked on it and don't plan to). The site says: "Restricted" and then a space to enter a username and password beneath."  I've run a virus scan with my AVG, and two malware scans with Malaware and Spybot, and nothing major has come up and the popup is still occurring. 

When I try to search (Google and Bing) to see what http://client-projects.com is, the search says the website is blocking the search engine's description, which is a big red flag for me.  I've disabled Shockwave in my Firefox, and the pop up appears to have stopped for now, so am updating Shockwave, but I'm still concerned there might be something nasty on my computer.  How can I check further to try to track it down and/or does anyone else have any info on this popup or website?

Info:
Windows 7
Mozilla Firefox
AVG Virus scan
Malawarebytes Anti-Malware
Spybot Search and Destroy
(VS and Malware scans are ran regularly and kept updated)

Thanks for any help/advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sourorange

sourorange

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

Click the three bars in the top right corner of Firefox. Click Addons. What Extensions & Plugins are listed?

Edited by sourdream, 05 November 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#3 Tankgrrl

Tankgrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Add-on's

These are set to "Ask to Activate":
Adobe Acrobat 11.0.0.29
iTunes Application Detector 1.0.1.1
Java™ Platform SE 7 U60 10.60.2.19
QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.6 7.7.6.0
Shockwave for Director 12.1.3.153

There are others, but they are all disabled

Extensions

Pin It Button (for Pinterest) 1.35

others are disabled

I just checked to make sure my Plugins were all up to date, the Java one needed to be updated, so am trying to figure out how to do so now.

#4 scottyd121

scottyd121

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:39 AM

I'm having this same problem, in addition to some apparent forced browser re-directs, and only in Firefox.  All of my extensions are disabled.  I have a dozen or so plugins which are listed as "Ask to Activate" other than Shockwave Flash and OpenH264 Video Codec, which are set to "Always Activate"

A few days ago the Firefox browser popped up a window and tried to redirect to a website address opensoftwaredownload.com/campaign/hilljelly6.  I force closed Firefox, ran a Kaspersky scan and found nothing.

I actively run Chrome and have had no issues - it's only in Firefox.

Any ideas?

#5 barbara4322

barbara4322

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

I just realized today that this error message was popping up anytime a Walt Disney World ad was trying to launch. I frequent WDW's website and store so I get preference type ads that pop up. For me this error occurs when a WDW ad is there.  I don't know if I did something to change settings on my computer or if they have something wonky on their ad.  I am on a mac using Firefox. I did just update my Java if that has anything to do with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users