Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless booting after updating drivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyMikey77

MikeyMikey77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

My XP laptop won't boot at all - just gets into an endless cycle --- after I updated drivers using Advanced System Care, which I have found safe and reliable after using it for many years.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2014 - 11:59 AM.
Moved from Vista to XP, moved back to Vista - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hello,

Do you have access to another XP computer?

Edit: Have you tried safemode? Also after tapping F8 select Disable AutoRestart on System Failure.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 November 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Which drivers did you update?

P.S.  I've not used it myself, but wanted to alert you that I've seen several posts in the bc forums cautioning that use of IObit Advanced SystemCare can sometimes cause system problems, especially if you use their registry cleaner.  Best wishes. 

Edited by Torvald, 06 November 2014 - 04:52 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hi MikeyMikey77,

You pointed out the following in your first post:

after I updated drivers using Advanced System Care, which I have found safe and reliable after using it for many years.

Torvald is correct. Many of us compare IoBit's Advanced System Care (and all other optimizing software programs that claim to fix all) to snake oil. As you have found out, it is similar to playing Russian Roulette. Looks like you finally got the bullet with your name on it.

Personally, I would suggest that you uninstall IoBit's Advanced System Care.

Please note JohnC_21's edit in his post and try to boot to Safe Mode. To accomplish this, reboot your computer, and as soon as you see the splash screen (manufacturers logo; Dell, ASUS, etc.) as the computer is booting press and hold your F8 Key which should bring up the Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Navigate to Safe Mode with your arrow keys and press your Enter key.

If after several attempts you are unable to get into Windows XP Safe Mode as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer with the Power Button. When the computer is turned on the next time Windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the Safe Mode screen.

Once you access this boot option you should be able to perform a [b]System Restore{/b] to a time before the drivers were updated. Please note, performing a System Restore while in Safe Mode can not be reverted.

Also, here is a link that might be helpful as well:

How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP

Good luck!

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#5 MikeyMikey77

MikeyMikey77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:15 AM

Thanks all. Actually I goofed on my question. The problem is with a Vista machine I have, not with my XP desktop. Will your suggestions work for that also? Again, thank you so much.

#6 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,412 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

Ah! That is why you posted in the Vista forums! Hamluis obviously moved your topic here to the XP forum for that reason. I have contacted him to have him move it back to the Vista forum.

Yes. The same instructions will apply to Vista, as well. Please keep us informed to your progress.

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users