Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I make my monitor match other peoples?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hi, I post photos in various historical discussion websites, but people tell me they look too bright and washed out on their monitors even though they look fine on my monitor!

But if I dull the pics down by juggling the brightness/contrast/gamma settings on my monitor and Nvidia card, the pics look horribly dark and almost black to me, yet other people say they look fine to them!

When I had Win XP there was no problem, but it seemed to arise when I switched to Win 7 a few months ago and I can't figger out why.

So is there any way I can make my monitor match what other peoples monitors are seeing so that we're all singing from the same song sheet?

For example is there some sort of auto-calibration routine in Win 7 or Nvidia that I need to do?

PS- I tried hooking up my spare monitor but the problems still there, so that seems to indicate it's not a monitor malfunction and may be a Win 7 or Nvidia matter?

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2014 - 04:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Er2thewin

Er2thewin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

I would say more information is needed. What format are you saving the images in. Can you post a test image for us to see. From personal experience I would say its more of an image issue than a monitor issue. But lets start with you posting a image for us first. 

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

Okay here are 3 test pics I've already posted in forums to ask for feedback, and EVERYBODY without exception says 'A' is the one that looks best on their monitors, yet to me 'A' looks hopelessly dark!
'B' is the one that looks perfect to me,
'C' looks too bright and washed out to me-

A
swordfish1_zpscd5edc31.jpg

B
swordfish2_zps369180cf.jpg

C
swordfish3_zps6366beea.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 05 November 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

Monitor settings and performance...will vary by person.  They are adjustable...so there is no way to guarantee that A will see what Z sees, IMO.

Adjusting Monitor Settings

Louis

#5 kcstueber

kcstueber

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hi MikenPlymouthUK,

I agree with Louis in that everyone preference for what looks good can be different, but I'd go one step further with the following suggestion. As there can be small or large differences in there settings on montiros, tablets, phones, etc, the only one way to be sure that what you're using is set to some standard, which is why you might want to investigate investing in a monitor calibration device. There are software utilities or hardware/software solutions that can help you with that. The better result comes from the hardware/software solutions. They start for a bit less than $100 and go up from there, depending on the features and accuracy. One that is recommended by many, and I also have, so can attest to its use is i1 Display Pro. http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro The benefits are many, but in your case, you're removing the the one variable by making sure your display is correct.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kurt

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thanks everybody, and incidentally which of the above pics do Bleeping members think looks the best on their computers, A, B or C?

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

B

A is only a little bit dark....nothing too dramatic

C is just a touch light....again nothing too dramatic

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 kcstueber

kcstueber

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

I agree completely with Condobloke.

Kurt

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:24 AM

That's interesting, 2 Bleeping members think 'B' looks best.

If any more members want to say whether A B or C looks best i'd very much like to hear..

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:46 AM

...and the same result from 2 other PC's in my household, Mick.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 kcstueber

kcstueber

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

By the way, my monitor is calibrated with the device I mentioned earlier, so I have great confidence in it's accuracy.

Kurt

#12 jcmack

jcmack

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

What's the info on the subject of this pic please? It's an early WWII English torpedo bomber on the deck of an air craft carrier?  I believe pic A probably represents the actual original picture the best.

Thanks, Jim

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

I go with Copy B - A is too dark and C too washed out and that's on an Iiyama Prolite whhich normally gives very good colour resolution.

The aircraft is a Swordfish torpedo bomber but I would like to know the circumstances of the photo. I thought the Royal Navy were the only people to operate this aircraft but the aircraft handlers appear to be wearing US style helmets as opposed to British ones.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

Thanks guys, I'm still digesting your feedback.

For the record here's the discussion thread about it over at the Mission4Today forum (I'm PoorOldSpike), and as you see, 11 members voted, and they unanimously said they think Swordfish 'A' is best, even though to me it looks hopelessly dark!

I think I just need to get my monitor and Nvidia brightness/contrast/gamma settings balanced.. :)

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=19246&finish=15&start=0

Incidentally if there are any aircraft fans at Bleeping here are my WW2 Aircraft threads over there if you're interested-  

PS- there were no background details with the Swordfish pic when I found it on the net so I don't know what's going on

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 06 November 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#15 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

By the way, my monitor is calibrated with the device I mentioned earlier, so I have great confidence in it's accuracy.

Kurt

Yes, but $100 for it is a lot of pennies, but i'll bear it in mind as a last resort..;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users