Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding best malware software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy9108

Nancy9108

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

I have been using Malwarebytes anti-Malware and Malwarebytes rootkit removal for about 2 years.  Is that is the best malware detection  and removal program?  I noticed you label it as "lightweight".   What would be considered "heavyduty"?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WONDERFUL SERVICE.

STRANGLY RECENTLY MALWAREBYTES KEEPS PICKING UP PUP OF THE JUST CLOUD (CORRECTION) AND EVEN THOUGH IT GOES INTO QUARANTINE IT KEEPS ASKING ME WHAT TO DO WITH IT.  THEN SAYS MALWAREBYTES STOPS IN THE MIDDLE OF EITHER DELETING TOR WHEN I CLICK QUARANTINE.  ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS ISSUE?  IT HAS NOT DONE THIS BEFORE.  BEEN USING ICLOUD FOR BACK UP.  I HAVE A QUADRIPLEGIC SON ON LIFE SUPPORT AND USE MY COMPUTER FOR MEDICAL ISSUE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Edited by Nancy9108, 05 November 2014 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

Since this is a common question, you will receive a variety of opinions.

Here are links to polls about this very subject:
* Poll: Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner
* Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall

IMO, the more effective security scanners are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

I think that "lightweight" in this case for describing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware means that the program, itself, does not use lots of memory/system resources. Its lightweight functioning is part of why it is a most effective and efficient stand-alone scanner.

Just to follow up on quietman's post, there is also ESET Online Scanner. Quietman would be able to verify how good it is, but from what I have gathered it is a great stand-alone scanner like Emsisoft and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

As for your concern about the PUP, I am uncertain to what exactly you mean; however, quietman, who is an expert, or another member of the bleeping community will respond to your issue.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

ESET Online Virus Scan is one of the more effective online scanners. However, ESET's detection rate is high and can include legitimate files which it considers suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan), when that is not always the case. As such you have to be careful what you choose to remove.

A Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as problematic. Thus, this type of detection does not always necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. PUPs in and of themselves are not always bad...many are generally known, non-malicious but unwanted software usually containing Adware or bundled with other free third-party software to include toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins and browser extensions. PUPs are considered unwanted because they can cause undesirable system performance or other problems and are sometimes installed without the user's consent since they are often included when downloading legitimate programs. PUPs may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition. That fact adds to confusion and a lot of complaints from end users asking why a detection was not made on a particular file (program) they are having issues with.

Previously, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected only PUPs that were considered mostly harmful and deceiving but they revised their policy, taking a more aggressive approach to include PUPs that most users found annoying or misleading. PUPs may be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors. This is what Malwarebytes has to say:
* What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?
* Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy
* Malwarebytes: Potentially Unwanted Miners – Toolbar Peddlers Use Your System To Make Bitcoin Mining
* The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware

If you recognize the PUP detection(s) as belonging to a program you installed and/or want to keep, you can add those items to the exclusion or ignore list (by right-clicking) so they will not show in future scans. If you don't recognize the detection(s), then you can remove them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

Thank you all for the great information. 

Nancy

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:34 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users