Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 5336 Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 83dons

83dons

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hello I am hoping you can help step me though a systematic check of my laptop to work out why on power up that the hard drive light doesnt come on, there is no Acer splash screen and no boot leaving only a black screen. I have already stripped thelaptop back to just the motherboard including fan, power up button and 1 or 2 sticks of RAM with no HDD. As before the power light at the top comes on and at the bottom, the fan turns over then stops but nothing registers to an external monitor connected. I would like to work out what is failing so I can replace the part and salvage the laptop at best cost. Thanks in advance for your replies. I have included a link below to what lights appear once the power button is pressed. It is just connected as above at this point I hadnt realised I could detach the power button and just have the motherboard standalone with the monitor connected!

http://www.cmlwebdesign.com/laptop1.jpg

Edited by 83dons, 05 November 2014 - 08:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:58 AM

You may have tried all of these things but just a quick list here of things to try:

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to eachother channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

Try resetting the cmos, remove all power sources including the main battery and then remove the button cell battery from the mainboard, leave it out for at least 10 seconds. Then put the button cell battery back in and power on.

If you still do not get a post screen:

Disconnect pci cards including mini wireless cards ect, pci-e cards, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers/connections as well, webcams etc. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram (you should have no ram now), power back on and listen for a post fault beep code.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only non essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again. Sometimes a screw will come lose and get stuck under the mainboard and cause a short.

Generally the issue you are reporting is a video chipset failure. Replacing the motherboard might be the only option. Double check that you can not see anything on the screen with a flash light held against it, sometimes backlights fail. If you get no post splash screen on either the external or built in display at this point, you likely will have to replace the mainboard.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 83dons

83dons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

You may have tried all of these things but just a quick list here of things to try:

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Is it ok to try the following with just the motherboard already unpacked from the components?

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

I think I have tried this but maybe not all the combinations. I have another identical laptop so will try RAM from that as well that I know is working.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to eachother channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

Ok will try as above.

Try resetting the cmos, remove all power sources including the main battery and then remove the button cell battery from the mainboard, leave it out for at least 10 seconds. Then put the button cell battery back in and power on.

Havent tried this yet will do it next. Not sure I couldn see the battery last time I looked!

If you still do not get a post screen:

Disconnect pci cards including mini wireless cards ect, pci-e cards, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers/connections as well, webcams etc. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram (you should have no ram now), power back on and listen for a post fault beep code.

Have already disconnected everything  but no output to external monitor and didnt hear a beep.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only non essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again. Sometimes a screw will come lose and get stuck under the mainboard and cause a short.

I think I have completely removed but will try again.

Generally the issue you are reporting is a video chipset failure. Replacing the motherboard might be the only option. Double check that you can not see anything on the screen with a flash light held against it, sometimes backlights fail. If you get no post splash screen on either the external or built in display at this point, you likely will have to replace the mainboard.

I have vague memory as had a cracked screen to replace originally that there were lines appearing on the screen befofe it failed. I will see if this an on board video chip or plugged in.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

Did this issue happen after you replaced the cracked screen? If you didn't remove all power sources including the main battery when replacing the led lcd panel, this might be the problem. I have seen a few computers with burned out led driving circuits due to failure to remove power when replacing the panel. One of the techs I worked with was in a hurry to replace a screen on a lenovo yoga (built in non removable battery) well not removable easily, you have to take the bottom cover off. They shorted out the led driving circuit and then had to replace the mainboard. I can not recall if in this situation the external still worked.

What happens is when the cable is removed from the lcd panel, a few of the pins might short if the cable isn't pulled out perfectly or is wiggled. It is always best to disconnect all power sources before doing any work.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

Is it ok to try the following with just the motherboard already unpacked from the components?

Yes

#6 83dons

83dons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

Did this issue happen after you replaced the cracked screen? If you didn't remove all power sources including the main battery when replacing the led lcd panel, this might be the problem. I have seen a few computers with burned out led driving circuits due to failure to remove power when replacing the panel. One of the techs I worked with was in a hurry to replace a screen on a lenovo yoga (built in non removable battery) well not removable easily, you have to take the bottom cover off. They shorted out the led driving circuit and then had to replace the mainboard. I can not recall if in this situation the external still worked.

What happens is when the cable is removed from the lcd panel, a few of the pins might short if the cable isn't pulled out perfectly or is wiggled. It is always best to disconnect all power sources before doing any work.

Unfortunately on one occasion yes the power source was still connected and removed an LCD cable and put it back in as thought the connection was loose. I am not sure if it was after this it stopped booting at all. is there any way to diagnose this if it is the problem? The external monitor doesnt work either. I know the HDD is working as tried it in another laptop.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

You may be able to detect a burned smell or possibly see a burned component/trace on the mainboard that is related to the lcd led panel driving circuit. This is a very common problem when people replace screens. I can't tell you without looking at it very very close up.

I will say it is nearly impossible to get a cable in or out of an lcd panel prefectly straight without shorting pins if you leave the power connected. If you remove the mainboard entirely, try to follow traces that go to the lcd panel connection on the mainboard.

Edited by zingo156, 05 November 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#8 83dons

83dons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Ah thats annoying I was impatient the one time and it may have caused this! Ill have a look I know the power supply is defnitely coming in to the motherboard. I will need to try and see where the screen cable clips in to the motherboard and have a look. Ill take a photo and post it as dont want to short anything else on the board by touching the wrong parts with my voltmeter! If I can prove its defnitely a particular component then I can either replace it if possible or if I have to look around for a second hand laptop with working motherboard or cheap motherboard for the same laptop.

The external monitor plugs into a different part on the motherboard Id have though they two wouldnt be interconnected?

Edited by 83dons, 05 November 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

Mainboards can genrally be found for reasonable costs on ebay, I only suggest "new" parts. You will have to decide if it is cost effective to replace the board rather than just updating to a newer model.

Always, remember to disconnect all power sources: power adapters, batteries, before taking anything apart.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

When ordering parts, use exact part numbers from the mainboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users