Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding HDMI output to PC?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dschribs

dschribs

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

Just got a gorgeous Samsung 27" HD LED monitor for my PC.  The monitor has an HDMI input on it but my computer doesn't have an HDMI output.

• Can one be added to my PC somehow?
  • Will it improve the video quality from what I am using now?
  • If I do add one, anything else I need to add to my computer? Drivers, software etc.

Thanks!!!!
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

I need a bit more information here: what is the make and model of the computer? What are you currently using now as a connection? VGA (analog) vs HDMI (digital) at 1080p is a questionable subject. Personally for me I could go either way. It really depends on the monitor, I had a monitor that had better color on VGA.

The biggest differences with HDMI vs VGA would be the ability to carry audio, and HDMI supports HDCP, which is required for blu ray playback. Outside of that, it really goes both ways. You will likely find people prefering one or the other. Personally with the advantage of audio in the same cable and HDCP support I have upgraded to HDMI.

When you get to the 4K resolution ranges your options for cables begin to go down, HDMI 1.4a and display port 1.2 etc.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 dschribs

dschribs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'm using standard monitor cable now (VGA?) going into the monitor.

I'll get some more info from my computer and monitor when I get home tonight and post it.

I guess my bottom line is this - If I did add an HDMI output to my PC - would the HDMI give me a better picture on the monitor than a "standard" monitor cable?? Just trying to determine if it's worth it.

Thanks!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

This is tough to say, it depends on the monitor, and personal preference. I doubt anyone would notice much. The only case I had ever noticed anything, the VGA actually looked better than the HDMI color wise. I am sure I could have adjusted settings on the monitor to get them to match though so realistically if you are not doing anything with audio to the monitor or HDCP playback, I wouldn't invest the money on a cable.

Edited by zingo156, 05 November 2014 - 11:44 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users