Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avirus Or Not

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ravnos316

Ravnos316

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

does anyone know if there is a virus called merlin? I have a wizards hat in my task bar that was not there before if it is a virus how do I get rid of it

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 15 June 2006 - 08:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

If you haven't recently added a program I would be very suspicious and would not click on it. Have you done any scanning with any antimalware programs? I found no malware under that name by Googling.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:52 PM

Hello Ravnos316,
Try following this tutorial, which includes information about how to remove it. For the step where you should scan with Norton (if you don't use it), just run your normal anti-virus..
Hope this helps to get rid of your problem,
Charles :thumbsup:

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

HLL.IRC.Merlin
Category 1
Discovered on: September 06, 2001
Last Updated on: April 15, 2002 04:44:40 PM

HLL.IRC.Merlin is a virus which attempts to distribute itself through mIRC configuration files. It may arrive from another IRC chat user as the file Merlin.exe.

Also Known As: HLLP.Merlin.6113, Merlin.GR4, HLLP-Merlin-Fam

Type: Virus, Worm
Infection Length: 6739
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...irc.merlin.html

DO NOT CLICK ON IT!

Symantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere to the following basic security "best practices":

* Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer services to maintain through patch updates.
* If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or block access to, those services until a patch is applied.
* Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP, FTP, mail, and DNS services (for example, all Windows-based computers should have the current Service Pack installed.). Additionally, please apply any security updates that are mentioned in this writeup, in trusted Security Bulletins, or on vendor Web sites.
* Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit damage when a computer is compromised.
* Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.
* Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using trusted media.
* Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them. Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

removal instructions

1. Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you have the most recent virus definitions.
2. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and run a full system scan. Be sure that NAV is configured to scan all files.
3. Delete all files that are detected as HLL.IRC.Merlin.
4. You must replace the Command.com file by copying it from a clean boot disk or another computer that runs the same operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users