Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer crashed, and now i have a lot of artifacts on my screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ipitydatfu

ipitydatfu

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

my computer crashed playihng a video game, now there is alot of artifacts on the screen. now it will only boot up to the windows loading screen before it crashes again. how should i go about this. i need to fix it soon so i can do homeowkr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

This is very likely a hardware related issue. Please supply the specs of the computer in your next post, a make and model will help with diagnosis and testing procedures.

Here are some things to try: reseat your ram, (unplug the computer and remove all power including a battery if it has one). You can run memtest to test the ram, often a bad stick of ram will cause crashes and possibly artifacts memetest can be downloaded here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

They have either disc bootables or a new flash bootable version. Backup the data on the flash drive if you decide to use it, it will require a format. Boot to memtest and let it run for 3 passes at minimum, if you have any red lines (errors) report all of the information in that line in your next post. Also please let me know what size stick of ram is in each slot if there is an error, I may be able to tell you exactly which stick may be the cause.

This also may be the video chipset starting to fail. I would recommend dusting out the computer while you have it open for reseating ram. If this is a desktop also check for bulging or blown capacitors on the video card and motherboard examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors&biw=1272&bih=766&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gCZaVLyfEISjyASAxoH4Aw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=blown+bulging+capacitors

Edited by zingo156, 05 November 2014 - 08:33 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 ipitydatfu

ipitydatfu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:51 AM

im in class at the moment, so this is all i can do

i dont think it's the RAM because i can boot into safe mode

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550Wd

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB

1 x OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2

Western Digital WD Black WD6401AALS 640GB

Edited by ipitydatfu, 05 November 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

I would still recommend running memtest just to be sure... Often times a failing video card will cause this exact situation as well. Safe mode may work due to the generic vga driver windows is using. Normal mode will use a full featured amd driver and that may be causing the crash due to failing hardware. You could try a bootable version of linux, something like mint and see if you have any crashes or kernel panics there. You can get linux mint here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Video cards (computers in general) need to be dusted out frequently or they tend to overheat, overheating even one time can cause permanent damage. I recommend dusting out computers at least 2 times a year if not more if you live in a dusty environment as I do, I have a wood burner, live on a gravel road, and have a dog. Heat sinks get plugged with dust and then they no longer cool effectively.

Edited by zingo156, 05 November 2014 - 09:09 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

One more thing: sometimes a failing power supply will cause similar symptoms. If you have a spare psu or video card (same wattage draw video card) to test with, you could quickly rule either out.

Edited by zingo156, 05 November 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#6 ipitydatfu

ipitydatfu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

it was my GPU. changed it to r260x

I'm gonna have my 4870 mounted. it was a great 7 years

thanks

Edited by ipitydatfu, 05 November 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

Glad to hear you have it working.

Keep in mind it is still possible it is power related if you didn't try a different psu as well, it is unlikely with your current result. The 4870 will use quite a bit more power than the r260x under full load. Since you had problems even with the card at idle/boot, it seems most likely it is just the card.

If you experience any similar crashes with the new video card, I would suggest replacing the PSU next.

Happy computing.

#8 ipitydatfu

ipitydatfu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

thanks for the tips. i'll keep it in mind (i dont have an extra power supply)

as for the dust: i blast it every 2-3 months :P

Edited by ipitydatfu, 05 November 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

I do the same about every 2-3 months. 7 years out of a card, that is a good run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users