Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected? Power crash, "Proxy server refusing connections"

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Fluffy

Fluffy

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

Today I noticed when typing emails that my pc paused once every minute or so, and had to 'catch up' for a few seconds. I type fast, but not that fast. It was slightly annoying, but not something I paid much attention to, as I figured it would go away if I restarted the pc. (I never got around to trying that.)

But a few hours later my pc beeped once, then shut down. My battery power went from 100% to 0% - which was weird since I use my laptop always plugged into the adapter. It's always pulling power from the outlet - it should never shut down. I turned it back on, (unhappily noted the 0% power), and took out the brand new power cord I keep on hand for lovely moments like this. My pc charged to 10% - but only charged intermittetly. Every minute or so, it still darkened the screen, beeped once, and shut off the charging for these brief moments. Much like when I was typing and the computer struggled to keep up every so often. BTW, it isn't charging past the 10%....just says plugged in, not charging. At least it's stopped its darn beeping...that bodes well for my sanity.

Since both the old and new cords are acting the same, it's not the cord. I'm doubting it's the battery, which isn't old either. I bought both the cord and a new battery from Gateway only a couple months ago when my old battery died.

Another very odd thing - right after I turned my pc on again, before I could access the internet I had to reset some settings that I'm positive I never messed with. Firefox and IE were set to a proxy server (localhost port 21320). I don't use a proxy..have never used one, so that's why I'm wondering if I have a virus, versus some sort of a hardware issue. This is all within a few hours, so it pretty much has to be related somehow. I ran Mbam, which came back clean. Anyone have any ideas? Virus? Hardware? Some awesomely cool mix of both?!

My pc is a Gateway (NV57H13u),  running Windows 7. Thank you in advance for any help.

I know the voices in my head

aren't real...

But sometimes their ideas are absolutely AWESOME!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users