Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Muraddin

Muraddin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:00 AM

Hey. I have a question. I have an old CPU AMD Phenom XII 545 3.00GHz (dual-core). I wanna completly upgrade my PC. So i need to buy new MB, CPU and GPU. I want to buy some i5 or i7 intel CPU and some better GPU, like GTX 970, or something (or should i go to R9 290?). I can't buy it all at once, so my point is. If i buy a GPU first, will it be work ok with my old CPU (it will be replace with new one some month after)? Or should I first buy a new MB with CPU a use there my old GPU HD 4650, and then in some time replece it? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

That's not an upgrade, that's a new computer.

It depends on the video card slot in your current machine.  If it is a PCI Express you could purchase a new PCI Express 3 card and it will work in the PCI Express 1 slot, just not at full performance.  If it isn't PCI express you most likely won't be able to use the same card in both machines.  You could purchase a mother board with built in video and use that until you get a video card.

#3 Muraddin

Muraddin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

Yes, it's new computer, but not buy at once :)

I have PCI slot in MB, so i guess, I buy GPU first and then a CPU ...

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:57 AM

The CPU is going to be at least a three piece purchase, motherboard, CPU, and RAM.  You may also need a CPU cooling fan and thermal grease.

#5 Muraddin

Muraddin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

I've already buy a Corsair RM750 power supply and Crucial 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Ballistix Tactical LP. I also have NOCTUA NH-U9B SE2 cooler on current CPU, so that's ok :)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

If you are reusing the CPU cooler, you will need new thermal compound.  You will also need a new motherboard, the CPU itself, and possibly RAM.  If you are using an OEM/System Builder copy of Windows, you'll need to purchase a new copy to comply with the license.

If you buy a new CPU, you WILL need to also buy the motherboard, Windows, and maybe new RAM at the same time.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users