Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage 75%+

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hello,

On a laptop of a fried of me is Teamviewer installed and I'm getting the message that the CPU usage is above 75%.

The computer has been cleaned-up, this topic can be found here. But why is the CPU on 75%, a new infection?

NOTE: This is not the same computer as the new thread in the MRL forums!

Edited by M. de Jager, 05 November 2014 - 04:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

Investigating High CPU Issues:The first thing you need to do is to identify the process causing the high CPU utilization and where it is running from. Windows Task Manager does not provide enough information. These are tools ...

If you're not finding any malware, there are tools to investigate running processes, programs that run at startup, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its location. Most of them are stand-alone portable apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary.

A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, choose Properties and examine the General, Details and Version tabs.

If the file is related to a service, open services.msc, scroll throught the list, locate and right-click on the service, then select Properties. On the General tab, there will be a "Path to executable" just above the Startup type.

Right-clicking on a process in ProcessHacker or System Explorer allows you to send it (File Check) to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. Process Hacker also allows sending it to Camas Comodo.

Right-clicking on a process in Process Explorer or AnVir TaskManager Free allows you to send it to VirusTotal.

If you are using Firefox, you can use the VTzilla Add-on to check (analyze) a file for malware at VirusTotal before downloading and saving it to you computer.

-- System Explorer provides a security check of running processing using their online security database when you first launch the program. Just press the Security Scan tab at the top, then click Start Security Check. After the check you can click the link to See the results of the security check >>. Keep in mind, that the check is not a guarantee of what is or is not detected as malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 M. de Jager

M. de Jager
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

It seems a litle hard to do. Is there a easier way or should I try? I cheked in taskmanager and it is the AV there?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

Investigating processes is the easy way to ID high cpu usage...especially with the availability of free tools. Not everything is automatic and sometimes we actually have to think about what we are doing.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 M. de Jager

M. de Jager
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:01 AM

Okay, will test it as soon I got access to the laptop.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:04 AM

Good luck.