Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista V Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

I have been invited to download and try out the new Vista operating system, but I already have the Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, operating system, and I am wondering if both systems in the same computer will be compatable.

Will the new Vista dominate XP Home?

If I do not like the new Vista, will I be able to delete it and go back to XP Home?

What are the risks in downloading Vista when there is a trouble free system already installed?

My hard drive will accept the new Vista. There isa plenty of room.

Best wishes. whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

Windows Vista is supposed to be amazing. I have heard so many good things about it and I can't wait until it is released and I am able to buy it. Instead of installing it on the same computer you have XP Home on, I suggest you install it on a machine that is no longer being used that way you don't accidentally mess up your main computer. Or you could backup all of your data onto a second hard drive and then install Vista. Your choice. Some of the features that I am most excited about that Vista will have include: See-through windows, task switching, a new and improved start menu, added security (especially in IE), and the fact that Microsoft has finally built some decent multimedia tools into it that will make it easier for you to manage ALL of your multimedia files. If you do try it let me know how it goes.

#3 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

[quote name='coolchris706' date='Jun 14 2006, 05:03 PM' post='302346']
Windows Vista is supposed to be amazing. I have heard so many good things about it and I can't wait until it is released and I am able to buy it. Instead of installing it on the same computer you have XP Home on, I suggest you install it on a machine that is no longer being used that way you don't accidentally mess up your main computer. Or you could backup all of your data onto a second hard drive and then install Vista. Your choice. Some of the features that I am most excited about that Vista will have include: See-through windows, task switching, a new and improved start menu, added security (especially in IE), and the fact that Microsoft has finally built some decent multimedia tools into it that will make it easier for you to manage ALL of your multimedia files. If you do try it let me know how it goes.

You will need alot of room on your hard drive but make sure you have plenty of RAM and a decent video card as well. I suggest 1gb of RAM just to be safe.

Edited by coolchris706, 14 June 2006 - 05:06 PM.

#4 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

I suggest 1gb of RAM just to be safe.

i'm hearing 1gb of RAM just to be fully functional :huh:

#5 coolchris706

coolchris706

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

wow really :huh: ... could be true though because of all the new features it has that will take up alot of ram... i sure am glad i decided to go with 1.5 gb of ram now :huh:

Edited by coolchris706, 14 June 2006 - 08:26 PM.

#6 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:11 PM

wow really :huh: ... could be true though because of all the new features it has that will take up alot of ram... i sure am glad i decided to go with 1.5 gb of ram now :huh:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

thats got the minimum requirements in case you needed any more :huh:

#7 KSerge

KSerge

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

I have to concur with the ram recommendations. AT LEAST 1GB for decent performance (with aero glass on and indexing). I have a gig and about 504mb are used just with the desktop running (according to task manager). A hefty processor helps (especially dual core, since the indexing can be intrusive at times).

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

Works just fine with 2 gB of RAM! I found something interesting in the Welcome window today - it's a rating of your system with numerical values assigned for the performance of your hardware with Vista.

I found that my system was a 3 overall - and that it was dragged down by my FX 5700 vid card and 128 mB of vid memory. So, a new vid card with more memory is in cards for me!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:19 AM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm going to stay as I am. When this computer needs to be replaced or updated, I may have to use Vista, for the day will surely come when XP is as archaic as Windows 95 and what preceded it.

Best wishes. whatapalaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users