Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single Core Vs. Dual Core, The Long Run (amd)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

From what I hear it is recommended that I get a dual core today to save money later, but its not that easy for me because I also hear that there are very few programs to date that utilize both the cores and I'm not even sure how a program is "assigned" a core for it to run.

For example, I may be playing CS:S, Listening to music on windows media player and surfing the web on a few pages. Or I may be playing WOW, Listening to music and surfing the web. Thats what i plan on doing with my computer in the near future, but I also plan on playing lots of games, doing some video editing and recording, and dvd burning. How will all of that work with Dual cores?

And then theres Price.

The price difference is huge. Its about 3 times larger for a dual core today than a single core (prices from newegg). For example, AMD's athlon 64 3500, 2.2 ghz single-core is $120 us dollars, AMD's athlon x2 4200, 2.2 ghz dual-core is $360 us dollars. 3 times the price!!!!!

So, for me to buy a dual-core today I need to be proved that by spending 300+ on a dual-core will be worth it in the near future, saying 1-2 years, but if dual-cores have barely begun to be used to their full potential by then, its not worth it.

Can somebody help me decide if I should buy a Dual-Core Today or Wait?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

Well, from what I've heard, the dual-core can only fully operate with programs that register with it and can optimize it's capabilities. I'm currently getting a completely new computer to buy, so I was asking about dual-core VS single core, and everyone has said that I should be fine a single-core since I'm just going to be doing graphic design and gaming, with only smaller programs like Firefox, AIM, and iTunes in the background. Like right now, this computer runs oldishgames fine, with like 16 firefox, iTunes, and AIM running on 5 different users, and I'm only running a 1.8Ghz Intel hahaha. So I'm fixing to get my own.
But yeah, I think you'd be better off with a single core, while saving yourself a HUGE amount of money.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

First of all, don't go buying anything yet! Rumour has it that there is a price-war coming up between AMD and Intel in July. We are talking up to 50-60% price-cuts on some dual-cores.

Windows does the assigning of processes to the different cores on the fly and also switches the processes back and forth in a sad attempt at load balancing.

With what you're doing, ie playing WoW, CS:S, surfing and so on, you will at the moment have no use for a dual-core, unless you're doing it at the same time. I have a direct need for a dual-core when I play DDO, surf, Skype, run file-sharing, listen to music and have a plethora of security related programs running in the background at the same time. But if you don't multitask you'll have no use for it.

Now for the long run:
I'll honour you with an official Mr Alpha (playing at) analyst statement. :thumbsup:
In Q1 2007 we will see a sharp increase of application of dual-core cpu's. Windows Vista will make a much better use of dual-cores, which will help even older games. Hopefully some of this tech will also be included in SP3 for XP which should come out after Vistas launch, but it is doubtful, since Microsoft will be pushing Vista down everyones throat like there's no tomorrow. At least SP3 should bring fixes for the compatibility issues plaguing dual-cores and some games. Unreal 2007 and other Unreal Engine 3 games will also start coming out which make good use of dual-cores. Since Quake 4 was successfully multi-threaded trough a patch it is very possible that future Doom 3 engine games will also be multi-threaded.

I won't tell you what to do. I'm a firm believer in forcing people to make ther own choices. And the watching them squirm.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 14 June 2006 - 04:25 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

Once you have used a dual processor or dual core machine, single processor machines will seem like they are holding you back. there is a great site http://www.2cpu.com/ that can show you the advantages of multi core and multi processor machines.

Edited by oldf@rt, 14 June 2006 - 04:24 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

Hey, I'm just wondering, has there been any news on that rumor. Its july 7 and I haven't seen anything yet and I'm begining to get a little impatient. Any news would be helpful.

#6 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:19 AM

I recently bought a new computer for much the same purposes as yourself. I use it for gaming, email/web surfing, and video ans photo editing. You may look at the specific software you'll be using. I use Adobe Premiere 2.0 and it has built-in features to utilize a dual-core processor. I found an enormous leap in power from a single-core processor.

By the way, I went with an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz, and with 2GB of RAM, video editing is much faster that it ever was on a single-core processor.

Posted Image

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

July 23 is the launch date or Core 2 and the day after that should be AMD's price-drop date.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 jawknee912

jawknee912

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:41 PM

intel will also be dropping the prices of its dual core Pentium D line on that day. the VERY overclockable Pentium D 805 will only be $93 dollars from what I hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users