Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about getting help in this forum.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jilter

jilter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

I thought i read somewhere that only certain categories of people are qualified to help people try to get rid of malware. I posted for help and received a detailed answer from somone who was a "member". I did not follow through with that reply.

Was I wrong? thank you for any guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

In the Am I Infected What do I do? forum there is a pinned topic: Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me?

In that topic it states: "Posting your problem here allows more experienced and knowledgeable Members and Staff to determine if solving your problem requires additional information and whether it is actually caused by malware or by some other problem requiring a different approach."

So if it was in that forum anyone can help you. It is up to you to decide if you want to follow the advice of a member. Staff do monitor that forum and if they see unsafe or outright false information we will take action. Wit that said the member to staff ratio is very high. So it is impossible for us to catch everything. We do our best and we encourage members to report questionable advice.

If it was in the Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. As noted in the Forum Guidelines at the very top of the forum highlighted in blue it states: "Only members of the Malware Response Team or Moderators are allowed to help people with logs." Forum permissions are set so that only the person creating the topic or Moderators and above are even able to reply to those topics.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jilter

jilter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

OK! thank you for your concise and quick reply.

Well, clearly I messed up and did not reply in a timely way to a member who reached out to help me. ANy advice as to how I proceed. I did post again on October 30 in the Trojans, etc Forum, but it has been 4 days so I do not think I will get a reply in that forum.

What should be my approach now to getting someone to assist me?

Thanks much.

Edited by jilter, 04 November 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

There are NON-staff members who help in Am I Infected and they are very good at what they do there.

One way you can find out about non-staff helpers is to hover over the member name, then click Find Content.

Scroll through the list of topics that person has posted in, looking for posts they made in Am I Infected. If you see a lot of them, it is safe to follow their advice.

Another clue will be HOW they present the help. Those who know what they are doing will give detailed instructions as opposed to someone else saying, for example, "Scan with Malwarebytes" with nothing more.

When in doubt, you can always pm a staff member and ask about the person helping you in Am I Infected.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

I forgot to address your concerns about your post in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Your topic there has NOT been overlooked. MRL has a backlog and the wait time can be up to 5 days. Right now that topic is still open and hopefully someone will respond to it very soon.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 November 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#6 jilter

jilter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

Appreciate your time very very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users