Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Drives Better Than 1?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vicmax

vicmax

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

Hello. This is a question for a friend not me,but what he wants to know is this.
He has a laptop with 40gig of hard-drive storage. The laptop has 20 gig on one Hd and 20gig on another,both built in. The C drive is obviously his main drive,and the D drive is his other drive. He wants to back up his music to his laptop,to use it as a jukebox but does not know whether to store his music to the C drive or the D drive????
Would it be best for him to store it on his main drive leaving the other drive free, or is it best to store the music on there own drive, or would this over run the laptop with two Hard drives working at the same time?
He estimates hes got around 3000 songs (and seeing his cd collection i can believe it)
Any advice would be appreciated and as much advice as possible would be great

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:02 PM

I would suggest that he keeps the C drive for the operating system and application files (20 GB is not that much for XP and you need some free space for the OS to function efficiently), and store user files such as mp3's mpg's etc on the D drive.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#3 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

Hi thanks for the reply.
I will let him know to copy the music to his D drive then. But, as i said in the last post, will this not eat up on system resources? or over power the laptop and strain it?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

Actually, keeping data on a separate drive seems to make your computer operate faster; it certainly makes maintenance easier (like defragging).
I keep almost all of my data, etc. on a separate physical drive for that very reason.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users