Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP SR3 PC locked 2 weeks ago.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Questing

Questing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Good afternoon everyone!

2 weeks ago as I was running my weekly virus updates on 4 PCs every Thursday AM, 1 Vista, 1 8.1, 2 w/XP SR3 & Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot, I had a notification to install the latest MS virus scan update and Adobe Flash on the HP.  Since I have done this many times in the past, waited for current app to finish scanning and enabled the 2 updates.  About half way into the install this HP P4 locked up.  It has been locking up periodically for 5 months only in XP, not Ubuntu.

I rebooted, and now get a flash of a blue screen of death so fast it can't be read, nor am I fast enough to stop it to read it (62 yr old).  The PC just keeps recycling.  Have tried Safe mode, and all of the other selections with hitting F8 before load XP msg appears.  Always the same thing endlessly.  Have tried a boot log many times but that fails also.

Downloaded Hirem's Boot CD and burned to a CD which does boot.  Have run about 10-15 apps with no result but no errors.  Have run chkdsk /r on c:.  Tried to run SFC to update obviously trashed files but always get "Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files" from the c:\windows\system32 directory.  Chkdsk did not list any repairs, but did take several hours to finish.

Is a HP pavilion a867c w/a P4 processor, 2GB mem, 250MB boot drive, 2TB storage drive, CD/DVD reader, CD/DVD Lightscribe writer, and a 3 1/2 floppy.  Also added a 650w power supply and a nice Nvidia PCI video card late last year along w/a new monitor.  Our entire network is ethernet gigabit 100MB/10MB.

The problem is this PC runs all of the miriad ot hardware we've purchased over the last 10 years because drivers were avail for XP, but not Vista or 8.1.  And has been the most stable of all 5 PCs.  And is heavily relied upon by myself

Am not an alpha geek but am comfy with older MS products and learning 8.1.  Not comfy w/Ubuntu yet, but can navigate w/o getting lost and getting better.

Will welcome all suggestions and assistance.

And Thank You ahead of time, have tried several posters/replies already with no success.

Questing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

How about running a hard diagnostic?  The long test.

Please...read and follow the insrructions provided, this diagnostic can be run on any hard drive, regardless of manufacturer.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Tell us whether drive passes or fails per the diagnostic.

Louis

#3 Questing

Questing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

Louis,

I neglected to say they are both Western Digital drives.

The first thing I did was put my WD CD in and boot to that.  No errors (shrug)  Still want me to run the Seagate diagnostics?  I ususally keep updated major Manuf. Diag disks on hand if one of our neighbors/friends needs help.

Thanks for the quick responce!

Ted/Questing

#4 Questing

Questing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Louis,

Ran the long and short versions,  passed both.............

Ted/Questing

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

When pressing F8. Select the option Disable Auto Restart on System Failure. That should keep the computer from doing a constant cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users