Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GeForce 9500 and SPDIF output

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yoi55

yoi55

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

I have an NVidia GeForce 9500GT that I have connected to my motherboard's SPDIF output header with a cable. I have it connected to my TV through the DVI port, and added the HDMI converter at the end. It is plugged into an HDMI port on my TV. The video works great, but there is no audio. I went into Playback Device properties, but the only option is for the internal Realtek sound card. This is a new install of Windows 7 x64, and I have installed the latest drivers from the Realtek website for the HD Audio. Why is the SPDIF output not showing up in Playback Devices? I looked in the BIOS, but the only mention of anything to do with audio is to enable/disable the onboard sound...nothing about SPDIF at all. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a screenshot of my Playback Devices properties. It shows only the normal Realtek output. It also shows that I have it set to show disabled and disconnected devices.

2ch9ydj.png

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2014 - 04:54 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Is there a BIOS setting for SPDIF? Also, make sure the connections are correct on the motherboard. See page 2 of this guide.

#3 yoi55

yoi55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

The only setting in BIOS is to enable or disable the onboard audio.  Nothing about SPDIF at all.  I should mention that the PC is an Acer Veriton X4618G.  It has an SPDIF header marked on the board, which is the "4" pin type.  I do have it hooked up correctly.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

If the connection is correct I wouldn't know why SPDIF is not detected. Have you tried the Audio driver on Acer's website. I would think the latest Realtek driver would work though. There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager are there?

Here is the service manual for your reference.

#5 yoi55

yoi55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

I originally tried the audio driver from Acer's website, but read somewhere to try the driver directly from Realtek...which is the one that is currently loaded.  I have seen that manual before...and I do have the correct header for the SPDIF.  I'm at a loss...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

So am I. I looked at that card. Is there any way you could use the TV out port on the back of the card? Probably does not make a difference but I read where the HDMI adapter was only supposed to be used on DVI-I connector 2.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

If you have the Realtek Driver installed, go to Control Panel and open the Realtek HD Manager. Is there anything related to SPDIF. It may be called Digital Output.

#8 yoi55

yoi55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

My 9500GT does not have a TV out.  It has 1 DVI, 1 S-Video, and 1 VGA.  You can see some specs here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150392

Here is a screenshot of the Realtek manager.  It's like the system doesn't even recognize that there's an SPDIF option available.

zyet8n.png

#9 yoi55

yoi55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

Ok, I tried using a DVI to HDMI adapter at the card, then running an HDMI cable to the TV.  It still doesn't give me an SPDIF option in Windows at all.  Here is a picture of the SPDIF header on my motherboard (I put SPDIF on pin 3 and Ground on pin 4):
sdp7wj.jpg

Here is a picture of the front of my card.  It only has 1 DVI connection, along with SVideo:
33mn6td.jpg

Also, here are pictures of my BIOS main screen and also Integrated Peripherals (which is the only place where there is anything about audio whatsoever):
ne7py0.jpg
zko5ys.jpg

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

I do not understand why it is not working. From your picture of the 4pin SPDIF header pin 1 is +5V, 2 - empty, 3 - SPDIF out, 4 - Ground. You have connected the cable correctly. If SPDIF was detected it should show up in the Realtek HD Manager. I am at a loss on this.

Edit: If  you can afford it, you might want to get a card with a dedicated HDMI port.

If you motherboard has a PCI-e 2.0  X 16 slot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130815

Your card

This card

spdifinfo.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 November 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#11 yoi55

yoi55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

Maybe that's what I'll do.  Maybe it's the card...maybe the OEM BIOS doesn't support SPDIF.  Either way, I've put enough time into trying to figure this out.  I'm getting that GT 610 on Newegg for $40 with a $10 rebate...not too bad.

Edited by yoi55, 09 November 2014 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users