Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xfinity/comcast gateway no printer found

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

surprize surprize, comcast called me about a month ago and said "you dont have any packages".  we can give you more tv channels, voip telephone and 100mbps internet for LESS MONEY than what youre paying now...

i tried and tried to find out what the catch was but they kept saying there were no catches...

well im at wits end with my printer (Brother HL 2280dw)...

original set up:

3 laptops running win7 or win8

motorola SB6242 cable modem

netgear 4300 router

hooked them up, printed without any issues...

took them out and inserted the Technicolor TC 8305C gateway that xfinity/comcast sent me (i have to use this particular gateway in order to get the 100mbps) and now none of us can print.  the printer is basically not found on the network...

i called xfinity and the indian/pakistani told me that theres nothing wrong with my internet so i need to call brother and have them fix it...

i sent brother an email on their support page and i just went through a littany of checks to no avail.  pinging the printers IP gives me PING: transmit failed, general failure with 100% loss

my daughter needs the printer for school.  the wife and i need the printer for general uses...

i tried searching here for similar issues but didnt find anything...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

check your IP address, both on the printer and PCs. netgear's default is 192.168.1.x and the new gateway I believe is 192.168.0.x. if the printer has a static IP address, which it should, it will need to be changed. if the IP address for your network changed. that's the first thing I can think of.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

That would be correct.  The lan subnet changed which is why you can't access the printer.  You would also need to make a new tcp/ip printer port with the correct ip address of the printer once you have changed the printers ip address.  Then you would uninstall the existing printer and reinstall it using the correct tcp/ip port.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm with the rest.  The printer most likely has a static IP address on a different network.  The machines all work because they use DHCP to get a network address.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

Depending on the configuration of the networking in the printer, you might need to re-run the setup disk to reconfigure the wifi on the printer to join HOMExxxx (or whatever the network is called if you changed the network name from HOME to something else).

If that doesn't work, Connect printer to your computer via USB. Reinstall the printer using set up disk or downloaded from the Brother website for you printer model. Manually enter the Wifi setting sin the printer setup at that time.

Disconnect, turn of your printer, wait a minute or 2, turn it back on and it *should* pick up the network.

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

okay!

thanks for all of the suggested fixes...

now how do i do this?

im more comfortable troubleshooting 480v power distribution systems.  IPDHCPSubnetLAN... all that sounds familiar but but where on the PC its at, no idea..

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

open a command prompt - in Search type CMD and click the link. In the black box type ipconfig and push Enter. that will show your IP address. note it, specially the last 2 sets of numbers it should be 192.168.x.x the X's are what you care about. the other thing you want to note is the default gateway.

If you have the CD that came with the printer run it again to get it set up. if not break out the manual on how to set it up manually and then you'll have to setup each computer accordingly.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

The way I would do it is completely different.

I would go to the printer and press the menu and go into tools to see what the ip address is set to.

Then I would logon to the router and change its subnet to match that printers subnet.

No printer reinstalls required.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

pbbfffttt if ya want it done easy lol

#10 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

... the new gateway I believe is 192.168.0.x....

i cant log on to this...

the connection keeps timing out...

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

You would go to a cmd prompt.

You would type ipconfig and hit enter

what is your gateway ip address?  We know its not x.x.0.x :-)

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

I am guessing because I am not there. you have to get your IP address. click the windows button....type CMD and hit enter. in the black box type ipconfig and hit Enter. look for IPv4 Address and Default Gateway. the default gateway is your router. 

#13 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

okay...

progress report:

ive been pretty busy but i got my gateway into bridge mode and got my netgear router back online.  so far ive NOT had any drop outs (which had just started happening ALOT lately)...

im going to have to reload or reconfigure my printer since i reinstalled it as a USB printer for a short period of time.  things are looking good so far...

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

Putting the gateway into bridge mode and using your own router is the best thing to do.

#15 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

it was a pain in the rear, but i got the printer reloaded again and now im back up...

what a headache for no reason...

thanks for the hint about bridging the gateway...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users