Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help for Partition drive

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

I have a HDD which is already partitioned in two parts C and M drive. I need to move some space from M to C drive.

I can only shrink M so that another drive is made... but can not give more space to C.

Anyone can help me with this.

thanks a lot 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

I would use the Windows version of Partition Wizard. Have you created another partition or after you resized M: you have unallocated space shown in Disk Management? How many partitions are on the drive?

In Partition Wizard you would do the following Case study 1

http://www.partitionwizard.com/hot-extending-system-partition.html

As with any partition operations make sure your important data gets backed up as anything can happen when you manipulate the partition structure of the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#3 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

I haven't made any new partitions recently, I have C as my system drive and M as my data drive, there are no unallocated drive.

I need to move some empty space from M to C as I need to install a virtual drive.

The link you provided looks fine and I go through it,

thanks a lot 

Edited by myym, 04 November 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

Depending on the size of the drive, it may take awhile. Edit: And I would backup your data as mentioned in my previous post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#5 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

I followed the procedure but ended up with an unallocated part... how can I add this to C drive?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Is the unallocated space after C: ?  See step 6 in the link I provided. You need to select C: and then resize it by dragging the arrow to the right. Then click apply.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

The trick here is you can not use unallocated space AFTER m:.  It has to be BEFORE.  Back in the day the easiest way to accomplish this was to backup m: and delete the partition.  Expand the partition and then restore the data.  But with the newer software all you have to do is create the unallocated space to be between c: and m: and you are ready to go.

#8 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:50 AM

There are actually two partitions, one of them is before C and the other one (a small size) after M.

Should I do the step 6 to move these to into C?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Please post a Screen shot of Partition Wizard showing the partitions. The small partition before C: is most likely the EFI system partition or System Reserved Partition. DO NOT move that into C: Do not do any further operations with Partition Wizard.  It would also help if you posted a screenshot of the drive in Disk Management.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#10 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

for some reason I was not allowed to put an image extension (jpg) in this message, hope this link to the image is ok.

21bmcnd.gif

http://tinypic.com/r/21bmcnd/8

Edited by myym, 05 November 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

The first partition is your Recovery Partition. The second is the System Reserved Partition. Before we move C: Do you have an external drive that you can use to create store a disk image of the computer in case something goes wrong?

Edit: I will be heading out for about an hour.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#12 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

Yes I have an external drive... but why moving C? that is my main drive.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

I am not sure if you can extend the C: Partition to the left with Partition Wizard. You can try it though. That would increase the size of C: by 48GB but you would still have the unallocated space after M:. You could extend C: to the left by 48GB, then move M: to the right by 206MB. You would then have 206MB unallocated space after C:. You could then increase C: by 206MB if you want to do that.

My initial thought was to move C: to the left leaving 48GB unallocated space after C: Move M: to the right by 206MB leaving an extra 206MB of unallocated space after C: Then resize C: to take up all the unallocated space.

But, any partition movement can be dangerous. If you can create a WIndow 7 System Repair Disk, you could boot from that and recover the disk image from the external drive. It's always good to have a backed up system image anyway.

Creating a Windows 7 System Repair Disk.

Backing up a disk image with Windows 7.    Check all partition on your hard drive when it asks what you want to back up. You would pick the Recovery Partition called PQService, the 100MB System Reserved Partition, the C: Windows Partition and your M: Partition. This will give you a complete disk image. When you click next you would select your external drive as the location for the image backup.

select-drives.jpg

#14 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

I have problems with my system restoring and can not make an image.

If I remove the C to the left it seems as the size gets larger... does it mean that it merges to that unallocated drive?

If I do the same to M, it seems as if it merges to that small unallocated part.... do you thin this will help?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

If  you could not create the disk image, you could use Macrium Free which would do the same thing. You would just click the entire disk you want to image. If you decide to install don't download from CNET. Get it here.

Yes, if you resize C: to the left, that would increase it by 48GB. Click on C: in Partition Wizard and select Move/Resize. Then drag the left side of C: all the way to the right. Then click apply. See this guide. You would drag the left side instead of the right as shown. I am not sure if dragging the left side of C: will work. If Partition Wizard does not allow you to do that you would need to move C: to the left and then drag the right arrow to the right to merge with the unallocated space. Then click apply.

For M: you could resize that by clicking M: and then dragging the right arrow of the partition to the right and click apply.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2014 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users