Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning Program from XP Prof to new HDD with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Luckysam28

Luckysam28

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hello!

I have an interesting holiday gift project and would like help finding the best approach. I want to upgrade my Dad's old desktop tower for a new one and am not sure what to do about keeping the windows install on the old computer. 

My goal: Enable Autocad 2006 on current desktop to be run on the new desktop.

Preferred option: Copy Autocad 2006 program files into new HDD with new OS (compatible with Windows 7)

Second option: Clone WIndows XP Professional to a partition of a new HDD and boot whenever this program needed to run.

Are either of these options possible; is there a better way to accomplish my goal? I would greatly appreciate any information on how to accomplish these tasks!

Current PC specs: 

Version: 5.1.2600

Service pack: 3.0

Future PC Specs:
OS: Windows 7 (withholding from 8.1 due to compatibility with Autocad 2006)

Thank you,

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

For starters....Autocad 2006 is NOT compatible with Windows 7.

QUOTE System requirements for AutoCAD 2006 | AutoCAD | Autodesk Knowledge Network

System requirements for AutoCAD 2006
Nov 1, 2014

Issue:
This article provides the system requirements for AutoCAD 2006.
Solution:
  • Intel Pentium III or later with 800Mhz Processor
  • Microsoft Windows XP (Professional, Home Edition, or Tablet PC Edition), Windows 2000
  • 512 MB RAM (minimum)
  • 500 MB free disk space
  • 1024x768 VGA with true colour (minimum)
  • Mouse or other pointing device
  • CD-ROM drive
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

If you get Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, you can put AutoCAD 2006 on a Windows XP Virtual Machine and skip the dual boot configuration, just suggesting.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Even in XP mode there are compatibility issues.

Edit: Also, if the hardware is different between computers, cloning the XP to a partition on the new computer would not work as the hardware is different. Some imaging programs allow you to restore to dissimilar hardware but you would still need to activate XP and if the version of XP you have is OEM than you would not be able to activate as OEM is tied to the computer it was installed on. If  XP was a retail version and you had the install disk, you could create a new partition on the new computer's hard drive and install XP then install Autocad but if this is a new OEM computer in all likelyhood it will have a UEFI GPT disk and XP cannot be booted from a GPT disk even if it is XP 64bit. XP 64bit can be used only as a DATA drive on a GPT disk.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#gpt_faq_xp64_boot

Can Windows XP x64 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Windows XP x64 Edition can use GPT disks for data only.

Can the 32-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

No. The 32-bit version will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 November 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

If your dad is a college student or has a student that uses his computer :whistle: then the student can use his ID/ email address, etc. to

get a free 3 year license for the new computer.

AutoCAD Free Download | Free Student Version for Academics

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users