Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*32 chrome in processes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 qfwm2001

qfwm2001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hello All,

I am new here.  In googling my issue I found this forum.

My computer was infected with malware about a month ago.  I cleaned it off with Malwarebytes.  I am concerned that it did not get everything.  When looking at my task manager, *32 chrome is running with more than 15 open.  Additionally, my fan kicks on high very frequently.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EternalLife

EternalLife

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

Chrome puts each webpage and plug-in in a separate process. That way if a tab crashes it does not affect any of the other tabs. You can also see what which process does by going to Menu-> Tools -> Task Manager. You can find more details at Chromium Blog.

I hope that helps.

-EL

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

If one of your system fans is intermittently speeding up, it could be caused by your CPU or some other component overheating.

One quick way to check your system temperatures is to run Speccy, as follows: 

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, following the instructions at the following site- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

P.S.  What type of PC do you have: is it a laptop or desktop; if purchased, what is the make & model?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

Chrome.exe *32 is a legitimate process related to the Google Chrome web browser. Multiple copies of chrome.exe, referred to as process-per-tab, listed in Task Manager is intentional by design as a crash control. Chrome creates three types of processes (browser, renderers, and plug-ins). Each Chrome tab is treated as it's own individual process for the life of tab meaning it is treated as a separate process so that multiple tabs can run with less problems. This feature increases responsiveness, and prevents the browser from locking up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. In the event of a browser crash or hang in one tab, it prevents the entire browser from closing down. Chrome has its own built-in Task Manager which is accessed by right-clicking on the browser's title bar. You can see what which process does by going to Menu > Tools > Task Manager. The Chrome Task Manager lets you track resource usage for each individual tab and lets you kill any tabs that have stopped responding without having to restart the entire browser.Note: Processes that end with *32 are 32-bit application running under WOW on a 64-bit OS.

Microsoft created the folder named SysWOW64 for storing 32-bit .dll files. WOW64 equates to "Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit". This folder contains all the 32-bit .dll files required for compatibility which run on top of the 64-bit version of Windows. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows but x86 applications are re-directed to the x86 \syswow64 when seeking the x64 \system32. The C:\Windows\System32 folder still exists in the 64-bit version of Windows but it is used as a repository for 64-bit .dll files.

For a more detailed explanation, please refer to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 qfwm2001

qfwm2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hello Torvald:

I hope I followed instructions correctly.  Here are the Speccy results:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/v34SzlTaVMq4jaAf40g4edb

It is a laptop.  HP Pavilion Dv6

Thank you for your insight.

David

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

Well, Speccy is showing normal temps for your system:  42 degrees Celsius for your CPU and motherboard (the temp reading for your on-board graphics is not showing for some reason), so I don't see any obvious cause for alarm about fan speeds.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#7 HackedBotato

HackedBotato

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

This is completely normal, Google Chrome can be a bit of a memory hog if you use multiple plugins. Find the one using the most memory, kill it, and the rest are gone. Also, you can use a lighter web browser like Opera or Firefox if you think GC is too slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users