Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8 question for updates

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

I have a windows 8 and this is a new pc and the problem is when I install microsoft updates the computer will say to shut down and restart and when I follow this on through then computer won't reboot normally.

instead of going back like is suppose to boot up I will get on the screen your pc can't start normally and then have to go through several diagnosis and then says can't start correct which ends up with either restore or refresh.

How can I get around having to restore or refresh.

Thank you for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

Try doing the restore.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Try doing the restore.

I have done restore already once.

and then when the updates was going on my pc does the same thing again will ask me to restore and or refresh then I end up loosing all the programs I have added and have to put programs back on again.

#4 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ok might try that once again.

if that does not help do you have any other suggestions?

Thankyou.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

I suggested doing the restore rather than the refresh because of this type of situation.

Choose a restore point prior to the updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

Is almost impossible to do a restore point prior to updateing. my pc is updating now and after this is one then once again it will alert that I need to restart and when I hit restart then have to go all through the process of either restore of refresh.

I should not have to do either one after updates have installed.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

If this is a new computer, then you shouldn't have very much in the way of data or programs you have installed.  I would suggest using the System Recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.

You need to be aware that I average about seven hours a day here helping others with their computer problems.  But there are times when my personal life has to come first.  I had twelve new windows delivered yesterday and am in the process of removing the old windows and installing the new ones.  Because of the coming winter weather this has become a priority for me.  I'm sure you can understand this. :thumbup2:

Edited by dc3, 06 November 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#8 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

This might not help much but what I would do is try to get it back running normal before the updates.Instead of windows installing the updates automatically,go the there website and download them and you install them one by one to see if you can find the update that is causing the problem.Reboot your puter after every installed update even if it doesn't require you to.You might be able to solve the problem.

#9 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

If this is a new computer, then you shouldn't have very much in the way of data or programs you have installed.  I would suggest using the System Recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.

You need to be aware that I average about seven hours a day here helping others with their computer problems.  But there are times when my personal life has to come first.  I had twelve new windows delivered yesterday and am in the process of removing the old windows and installing the new ones.  Because of the coming winter weather this has become a priority for me.  I'm sure you can understand this. :thumbup2:

Thankyou very much

This might not help much but what I would do is try to get it back running normal before the updates.Instead of windows installing the updates automatically,go the there website and download them and you install them one by one to see if you can find the update that is causing the problem.Reboot your puter after every installed update even if it doesn't require you to.You might be able to solve the problem.

Thankyou for the info.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

Do you possess a system image on a usb drive, dvd disc, cd disc or external hard drive? i have had them work to restore systems to previous working states when "system restore" did nothing but sit and scroll an infuriating green bar which gave no actual indicaton of progress. This was on windows 8. If you are lucky enough to have a system image from before your problems try using it. There are guides on this site about how, which is where i learnt the method. Loading of system images has also worked for me when refresh or reset methods have failed. Hopefully any recent personal files are already backed up to external drives or the cloud, as they will almost certainly not survive the restore,reimage,reset,refresh,reinstall process. In future have "automatic updates" set to check automatically but not download new updates until you give it permission, make sure to check it regularly though.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

Thankyou for the help and I have it all done now the updates are current as of today.

and I did a system restore point and all went well so far so good.

I did it on my own. :bananas:

And thankyou for the nice information it was very helpful to me.

I do appreciate that. :flowers:

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

Congrats! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users