Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Never goes to sleep mode manually or automatically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sjf99

sjf99

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

I am new to the forum so hello and hoping my new friends can help me out here.  Up until a week ago, when pc was idle, the screen want blank, computer light blinking green on and off, peacefully in sleep mode just the way I liked it.  Now, however, the screen is blank but the computer light is no longer blinking, fans are on, doesn't appear to be in sleep mode anymore.  Here is what I have tried so far:

powercfg /requests                               I shut down everything and make sure it returns nothing, still no sleep.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed        Keyboard and Mouse return, but they were like this when it was working.

powercfg -lastwake                               Value is '0', theorizing cause it never goes to sleep.

powercfg -energy                                  I'll be honest, ran two of these and I can't interpret them real well, but                                                           nothing appears out of the ordinary.

Device Manager                                    I went into each on that had a power management option and made                                                               sure it was set so as to "not allow" device to wake up system.

Manually enter sleep mode                             Screen goes blank, move mouse around, have log in screen, but never                                                                               goes to sleep, more like resting

Virus Scans                                                     Just for the heck of it bitdefender, malware bytes, rootkill programs, etc.,                                                                             nothing of substance turned up, so I think I am fine here too.

Please help.  Thanks.

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

Check the BIOS. Some BIOSs have wake-on-LAN settings along with other sleep/hibernate controls.

#3 sjf99

sjf99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

Thanks I checked that the other night, no real BIOS control settings available to change.  The things that I have researched that I haven't tried yet is removing the ethernet adapter just to see if it will go to sleep and to recheck my device drivers for the latest updates although I am not really sure which ones to do.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

You could try a System Restore back to when you know it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users