Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Passport Infected ?!!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JunoJA

JunoJA

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hey guys... :) I'm glad to be here, and I believe i will get my problem solved by the geniuses here... Straight to the point then. I think i got my 1TB WD portable HD got infected to the chip-level from a friend's PC. Now i cannot access the secured drive. Sometimes my password does not work. That was the earlier case. But after a few attempts, i can now unlock the drive. But cannot access the main drive partition in it. And also, my internet connection becomes slow. I very much believe that it's being hacked. Could anyone please guide my to solve this issue? I have lots of data in it. I don't want to lose them by getting it erased (after 5 failed attempts of password entry, it gave an option to erase the drive and reset the password!)... Please help me guys !!! It's a bit urgent !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

More likely the drive is failing.  First things first, back up any important data.  Next I'd advise decrypting the drive to attempt to get the data off.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

To give us some more help, can you state for definite that your friend's PC was infected, and if you have any idea of what this machine is infected with, if it is infected.It is certainly a real possibility that it spread to your WD drive. This information would be very useful in trying to give advice.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:21 AM

More likely the drive is failing.  First things first, back up any important data.  Next I'd advise decrypting the drive to attempt to get the data off.

Thank you for the suggestion. Maybe the drive is failing.. It's still in warranty period. But there is no guarantee that the company will recover my data. When i cannot access the main drive partition in it, is there any way to retrieve or access the main partition ? I didn't get well the meaning or purpose of decrypting the drive. Could you please give me some more hints ?

#5 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:30 AM

To give us some more help, can you state for definite that your friend's PC was infected, and if you have any idea of what this machine is infected with, if it is infected.It is certainly a real possibility that it spread to your WD drive. This information would be very useful in trying to give advice.

Chris Cosgrove

My friend - she is not a computer person really. Also she's moved out of the city. I actually was giving her some data before she went. Now it's not much possible to determine about her system's condition. But this is all my logical guess: that her laptop is already infected; that she has put her UAC to never notify (she usually does that in order to install some software easily) - hence it didn't ask before flashing the Smartware chip, i guess; maybe some kind of virus that affects chip level encryption was in her pc. With these said conditions, i would like to know if there is any possibility in retreiving or accessing the data from the main partition drive... And thank you for attending my query this well... :)

#6 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:32 AM

I would like to know, if it's possible to remove this smartware encryption by some means without affecting the main partition drive data, so that i can access the main partition ! Thanks guys for the valuable advices... :thumbup2:

#7 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hello and welcome, 

In my opinion it's not necessarily a case of a virus infected drive. In fact – it is more likely that the file system is corrupt due to improper use, such as disconnecting the drive while in write process. Have you tried the drive on another computer? Or with another USB port? I would recommend you run a disk check utility, such as WD Data Lifeguard, link here : http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3. It would be great if you're able to post results – that might help in determining the cause of your issues.

If that doesn't help you recover your data – you may want to try using CHKDSK /f (more about this here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx )

If absolutely nothing from the above helps you can try to use a data recovery software or a data recovery company. Just one note though – if you decide to try with a data recovery company my advice would be not to take any further actions with the drive as this can make it even harder for such company to recover the files.

Here is a list with WD Data Recovery partners: http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?lang=en

Feel free to ask further questions and I hope that was helpful, Best regards, Citizen_WD

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

Warranty will ONLY cover replacement of the drive, you are on your own for the data.  Having the data encrypted complicates any data recovery.  Having a back up of your data is the recommended practice, it is even more important if your data is encrypted.

I've used Kroll Ontrack professionally to recover data.  I've never seen a bill for less than $1,000.  You do get an encrypted external drive included in the price.

#9 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hello and welcome, 

In my opinion it's not necessarily a case of a virus infected drive. In fact – it is more likely that the file system is corrupt due to improper use, such as disconnecting the drive while in write process. Have you tried the drive on another computer? Or with another USB port? I would recommend you run a disk check utility, such as WD Data Lifeguard, link here : http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3. It would be great if you're able to post results – that might help in determining the cause of your issues.

If that doesn't help you recover your data – you may want to try using CHKDSK /f (more about this here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx )

If absolutely nothing from the above helps you can try to use a data recovery software or a data recovery company. Just one note though – if you decide to try with a data recovery company my advice would be not to take any further actions with the drive as this can make it even harder for such company to recover the files.

Here is a list with WD Data Recovery partners: http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?lang=en

Feel free to ask further questions and I hope that was helpful, Best regards, Citizen_WD

:) Thank you for your valuable insight. Yeah, maybe the file system got corrupted. I can't remember how She (if she had) or I ejected the drive. Yeah, I've tried on  other usb ports as well as on another computer. Initially, i couldn't access the drive by entering the password correctly. But then next day when i tried, it got unlocked. After a minute or two, the main partition drive appeared in the explorer window without showing the memory status. Still i could not access it. The window got hung. Then I tried the WD Security Utitlity, so that I can remove the password. But when I enter the password & press the unlock button, it still get hung. Ok, now i will try WD Data Lifeguard and will definitely post the results. First lemme try this and i'll get back to you. Hope this works ! :)

#10 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

And for the record, I'm using my portable in Windows 7. :)

#11 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

Warranty will ONLY cover replacement of the drive, you are on your own for the data.  Having the data encrypted complicates any data recovery.  Having a back up of your data is the recommended practice, it is even more important if your data is encrypted.

I've used Kroll Ontrack professionally to recover data.  I've never seen a bill for less than $1,000.  You do get an encrypted external drive included in the price.

:) So, in essential, I'll have to have another portable as my backup plan for this portable. This is funny. If I'm correct, We also need to protect the backups. So If I am to buy a portable hard disk, I'll have to order another one for the backup, right? :D

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

I don't have Kilroy's professional experience at recovering data, I have had some success using Recuva, but if you have to go the professional route it is expensive. If you are thinking of this as a possibility get quotes first !

The counsel of perfection when it comes to back-ups is a total of three copies :  one on your computer, one on some convenient external media - so you can access it at need, and a third copy which is stored off-site - in a lock-up, friend's house, wherever - just in case your house burns down. Don't laugh. A large haulage company I used to work for had their offices and main warehouse totally destroyed in a fire one night. They lost about 18 hours management, the time it took to set up temporary accomodation and office equipment, thanks to off-site back-ups.

The other point you have discovered is never to connect your back-up hard drive(s) to someone else's system. If you need to transfer data, move it to a separate memory stick and take that to their system..

I know this is no consolation in your present problem, just advice for the future, and I hope you have success in recovering this data.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

This is my Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Result 1:

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WD My Passport 07A8 Unit Serial Number: WXD1A63L0083 Firmware Number: 1042 Capacity: 1000.17 GB SMART Status: Not Available Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected. Test Time: 21:05:01, November 05, 2014

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST Model Number: WD My Passport 07A8 Unit Serial Number: WXD1A63L0083 Firmware Number: 1042 Capacity: 1000.17 GB SMART Status: Not Available Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected. Test Time: 21:05:30, November 05, 2014

#14 JunoJA

JunoJA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

I don't have Kilroy's professional experience at recovering data, I have had some success using Recuva, but if you have to go the professional route it is expensive. If you are thinking of this as a possibility get quotes first !

The counsel of perfection when it comes to back-ups is a total of three copies :  one on your computer, one on some convenient external media - so you can access it at need, and a third copy which is stored off-site - in a lock-up, friend's house, wherever - just in case your house burns down. Don't laugh. A large haulage company I used to work for had their offices and main warehouse totally destroyed in a fire one night. They lost about 18 hours management, the time it took to set up temporary accomodation and office equipment, thanks to off-site back-ups.

The other point you have discovered is never to connect your back-up hard drive(s) to someone else's system. If you need to transfer data, move it to a separate memory stick and take that to their system..

I know this is no consolation in your present problem, just advice for the future, and I hope you have success in recovering this data.

Chris Cosgrove

Thank you Chris... Now I got a few more valuable info. Thanks again for all your support & best wishes... :) I'll definitely post here on my success..

#15 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:46 AM

Hi again,

The DLG test results confirm my suspicions – “Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected “

Did you try running CHKDSK /r or /f ?

In your case your best bet would be a data recovery company, but it really it all depends on how valuable your data is. 

Best of luck, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users