Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem? Colored Horizontal Lines At Laptop Start-Up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

I did a search and don't even know if this is a real problem or a warning.

I have an 08 Dell D630 with Win 7 and it works just fine. No problems works great for what I need. I use it mainly for WORD and internet research and it is usually on for 12 hours a day with 2-3 hours of sleep time. It also has a nice cooling tray with fan and it never gets warm.

BUT. I have noticed for quite some time that when I power-on I will get these cute pink and turquoise horizontal lines at he very bottom of the display while the display is black, in the place where the task bar would be. I might get 2 or 4 little lines that come and go at start-up. They shimmer and put on a little show until the wallpaper and icons load and task bar appears in their place. Then they disappear. No problems.

Is this normal? I did a Google search and it was....meh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hello,

The problem with vertical or horizontal lines during start-up may be a symptom of a failing CPU, Video card, Hard Drive... or a simple software bug. Whatever the problem – I'd recommend you do a backup of your data, especially if it is important. After that you can try different options:

First of all – I would recommend updating your video card and motherboard drivers.

You can also try to run the laptop in Safe Mode, to see if any change will occur.

Further you can run a hard drive check utility, preferably from your manufacturer.

If none of those makes any difference try to do a system restore, details here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Hope that was helpful, feel free to ask further questions, Citizen_WD

#3 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

Ran the Dell Driver & Update Scan and says I'm up to date on everything.

I got this laptop about 18 months ago and I've had these start-up lines at least 16 months and never thought much about them. Since it's been working great I don't want to bother with it until I get a back-up laptop next month.

One thing I did notice a few days ago is that I gently vacuumed the keyboard for dust and errant crumbs and when I powered-on I had no lines. A day or 2 later they returned. Forgot to mention that. 

Thank you for the help WD. I didn't know if the lines were normal and this lets me know I'll have to do something after I get another laptop.

#4 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

I'm glad that I was helpful! Since the laptop is not that old, if it's still in warranty period – it is probably best to take advantage of that. If it turns out to be an issue – RMA should replace the failing component or resolve the software problem. 

Best of luck, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users