Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop stuck in endless boot cycle.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

I'm trying to fix my friends Presario V6000. When you power on the lights all come on the fan starts and the DVD clicks. There is no post message just a blank screen.After about 15 seconds it turns off and the whole process starts again. Any help appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2014 - 06:01 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

I can't get into safe mode it's just one endless cycle. No post message,nothing but a blank screen.I have tried cleaning the ram slots testing the ram one stick at a time.I disconnected the cmos battery for half an hour to reset it.Removed the dvd drive incase that was a problem. Nothing changes.

Edited by Manshead, 04 November 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried your suggestion, I was going to do a clean install of Windows.It makes some noises like it's reading the disk but then tries to reboot.I'm starting to think it maybe a hardware problem.

Edited by Manshead, 04 November 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#7 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for reply.

I can't download speccy and run it because I can;t get the Laptop to boot into Windows.Specs are as follows.HP Compaq Presario V6000 (AMD Sempron 3200+ 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD) I'm not sure if that will help. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Manshead, 04 November 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

Mainly I wanted to know who the manufacturer is of you hdd.

What kind of noise is it making?

#9 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:57 PM

I see where you are going but I tested the HD in another Laptop it's ok. I worked on the comp last year ,new HD and more ram seemed a good little machine. My thoughts are maybe the graphics card but I think there onboard so I can'y swap it out.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

I tested the HD in another Laptop it's ok.

How did you test it?

If you installed it in another computer and booted from it you could have created a real mess if you didn't run sysrep to remove the identifiers before installing it in the other computer and the same when you returned it to your computer.

#11 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

I didn't touch the O/S. I installed it then used Seagate HD checker from boot disk.

Edited by Manshead, 05 November 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

You need to run a diagnostic tool to see what the condition of the hdd is.

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

#13 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for reply.I did all that you have mentioned but used another Laptop because the V6000 will not boot not even to dvd drive.I ran the short test which it passed, I then ran the long test with the same results I know the HD is good.I have always found that if a HD is U/S the POST will normally say Drive not found, as it wont even go to POST this can't happen.
Once again thanks and I hope you have some other ideas.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

if a HD is U/S

What is U/S?

#15 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

Unserviceable,Knackered Broken lol

Edited by Manshead, 06 November 2014 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users