Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I upgrade GPU?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

I have an old Dell Dimension 4600.  It has a few problems but still works. About 3 years ago, I bought a Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT Sparkle PCI GPU... (defective: works but fails benchmark tests)

Motherboard has AGP slot...

Are there limitations on what AGP GPU I can install?  What factors determine my options?  I need a high quality GPU with 1GB ram or more...

Will this one work?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=275&lid=1

This PC/GPU will be mining digital currency, if that helps.  Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

I do not see any reason why you wouldn't be able to install that GPU.  It goes without saying that if you have an AGP motherboard you can only use AGP graphics cards.  But the other main things to check are:

Physical space - if a card is 30 cm long, and you only have 25 cm space at the card slot, you're not going to be able to install it (at least without modifications to the case).

Power requirements - Check card manufacturers recommendations for minimum power supply requirements.  High performance cards (for their time) may require the typical 250w-350w PSU's supplied in most pre-built desktop PC's to be upgraded.

AGP voltage and version (particularly with very old hardware) - See this article on AGP versions - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/AGP-Bus-Tutorial/155/3  Basically cards with multiple "keys" should be able to go in any slot, but an old card keyed for 3.3v won't go in a 1.5v slot.

This PC/GPU will be mining digital currency, if that helps.  Thank you

From what I have seen of "rigs" used for this purpose, I don't think so.  Custom hardware (ASIC) for mining is now available and is orders of magnitude faster than even the most high end modern GPU's (and anything that goes in an AGP slot is at least 5 years old to start with).  l honestly think you are wasting your time.

See comparison of hardware here (but note comments about ASICs at the top) - https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Non-specialized_hardware_comparison

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users