Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer types an infinite amount of 9's - most odd!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ianfreeman

ianfreeman

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

When I click to type anything, say, in the Chrome search bar, a Word document or a Facebook post, before I touch any key my Samsung laptop will automatically type loads of the figure 9 until I stop it by pressing the backspace bar.

It'll then be OK until the next time I attempt to type something, but often it won't do it for quite a while.

My computer is virus-free so I can only think that it's a fault with the '9' key itself. I'm computer literate but not technical, so I've no idea how to go about checking if the key is faulty and how to get it fixed. Can anyone offer any advice?

I have tried connecting an external keyboard to the computer - the same thing happens.

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, one of my machines does the same with 1's. You can reseat the ribbon cable to the keyboard sometimes, but if that doesn't do it it's a keyboard replacement job. Not expensive if you do it yourself... look for "teardown" videos for your particular model on YouTube to see how to do these things without wrecking your laptop.

#3 ianfreeman

ianfreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Heh! There's no way I could dream of doing that myself, but thanks for the tip. My local computer shop could deal with it for me, though.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

I understand, I was petrified the first time I dismantled a laptop. Don't let the computer shop charge you an arm and a leg, it's not a big job.

Good luck.

#5 ianfreeman

ianfreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users