Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emails deletion.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:51 AM

Okay I have yet another problem I am getting using Apple products?

I have my Hotmail email account which is set up to be received on both my PC and iPad. Now even after I open and read them on my PC and later use my iPad the message are on the iPad which is normal. BUT when I delete them from the iPad they are also deleted from the PC which I don't want to happen and the deleted messages are not in the deleted folder either. How do I stop this from happening. This is getting too much for an old bugger like me?

Any help here would be appreciated big time. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Beel, 04 November 2014 - 04:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:35 AM

Your email server type is IMAP. What this means is your mail is held on the email server and then mirrored on to your devices. (PC and iPad) This is the reason that when you delete the item off one device it disappears off the other.

Your other email option is POP3. This downloads the mail to whichever device connects to the email server first and then deletes them off the server. So you would only ever get each mail one one device.

The reason your PC still sees deleted messages that you deleted on the PC is that they are stored locally, until they time out and get deleted automatically. This is why it can't see the messages you have deleted on the iPad.

What you want cannot be done sorry, but at least now you can understand why.

TsVk!

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

That said, some IMAP servers do serve deleted items for 30 days (like gmail for example), but you are unlikely to get that with BigPond or the like.

Edited by TsVk!, 04 November 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

Many thanks TsVk!I get the general idea now and will do a bit of research to learn more about it. As I said all this new technology is a bit beyond me at times but I am slowly learning I guess. Anyway thanks again mate much appreciated.

#5 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Finally more by luck than brains I solved the problem. Messing around in Hotmail which is my email system I found an option in settings to block Apps or other devices from deleting emails from the inbox from Hotmail account. Clicked that and bingo problem solved. Never thought to go into settings before so that's that I am a happy chappy again.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

That's great to hear. It's also good to hear you're not using a BigPond address...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users